Weird display issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tnsmart, May 17, 2010.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

Recently, I think since the update to 10.6.3, i've been having weird display issues. Sometimes I have black boxes around windows, icons in the finder aren't highlighted when selected, all of my icons turn white in the application switcher, icons are missing from the menu bar, little black or white boxes show up in the dock, black horizontal lines cling to the outside of the iTunes window, or the windows have no shadow. It is usually fixed after restarting the Finder, but comes back later. Any ideas about what is causing this or how to fix it? Thanks.

2. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Anybody? I'm guessing that there is a preference file somewhere that I can delete, but I don't know which one.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I didn't see one of the symptoms as the computer talking, so it couldn't be VoiceOver in Universal Access right?

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I'm going to go ahead and point you to this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865797

I assume you have a computer with an Intel chipset graphics card (i.e. GMA X3100; MacBook), the problem lies within a fault with the driver under 10.6 itself, which is to be, allegedly, amended in 10.6.4.

Edit: to save you trawling - a quick-fix is to change your screen resolution to something else and then back to native, it's a pain, but your only option at this point in time.

5. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. Looks like the same issue. I guess I will hope for a quick release of 10.6.4.