Weird Display Problem - Perhaps Video Card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uncommonsense52, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uncommonsense52 macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I've been having this weird problem with my MacBook Pro ever since I got it (used). It came from my cousin though, so I don't think he ever had this problem, otherwise I'd have trusted him to mention it. He's a graphic designer though, as an occupation, so I'm sure he put the graphics card through it's paces.

I've got a 17-Inch MacBook Pro, Mid 2010. I can give you whatever other info you need on it.

But yeah, the problem is that sometimes in browsers, the display is broken in weird ways.

It usually happens for a fraction of a second and then disappears, and usually only with video or picture files. But a few days ago, it happened while I was just browsing, and it stuck for longer then a split-second. Figuring "what the heck" I decided to take a screen shot. And I was surprised that actually worked.

[​IMG]

(Larger image here: http://oi57.tinypic.com/2cfbifb.jpg )

So this is a Screenshot I took from inside Safari. Sorry I didn't get the whole screen, I wasn't thinking because it had never stuck like that before, so I was just... almost excited to actually get a picture of it.

I've never had any other problems with this MacBook Pro, and this problem comes and goes. It'll do it a lot for a few days, then it'll go away for weeks. Then come back. And simply restarting the computer usually works for awhile even during those times when it's acting up.

Anyone ever seen this before?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its just occurring in safari, perhaps its a bug in the software. Usually seeing artifacts on the screen is indicative of a failing GPU but if its only occurring in one app, its less clear

3. uncommonsense52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey. Thanks for the reply!

It's happening in any and all browsers, Safari, Chrome and Firefox (I think). But it's never happened outside of a web browser, and I use a lot of other applications.

4. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I don't know what it might indicate but notice that the ad is free of artifacts. I would get rid of flash and check if it helps.