Weird document appears under my main volume's system files

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by comics addict, Oct 5, 2013.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Can someone be so kind as to explain to me what is this that appears under my Main Volume system folders after I recently did a migration assistant from a clean install of OS X & using my TM backup drive as the source?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s4eac1y8dfr0wt/Captura%20de%20pantalla%202013-10-05%2021.02.02.png

Is the one called mach_kernel. :( Tried to delete it and what happened was that I had to reinstall the OS and migrate my files back again. What gives?

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

mach_kernel is the kernel of Mac OS X. It is the core of the operating system. It is always present at the root level of every volume that has Mac OS X installed, but should normally be hidden. It is possible that during migration, some flags were not set correctly and mach_kernel became visible.

You can hide it again by using a terminal command:

Code:
    sudo SetFile -a V /mach_kernel

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

or this:
    sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

4. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much for clarifying this. No wonder when I went to delete it I trashed my internal volume :p I'll go ahead and use the terminal command and hide it.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I saw that myself. I do not know why it happened, but the terminal command described above made it go away as it's supposed to.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The recent 10.8.5 supplemental update unhid mach_kernel is how this happened. Total screw up by Apple.

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

This explains why I didn't saw it before updating the OS this weekend. :eek: