weird dot on my imac screen any ideas on how ot fix it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kaitlin4599, Sep 25, 2016.

1. kaitlin4599 macrumors newbie

ok so i bought a used imac G4 and when i powered it on for the first time i noticed this odd dot on the screen any ideas whats causing this dot and how to fix it i know its miniscule but my ocd kicks in and the dot drives me crazy

edit also if the screen needs to be replaced no biggie i have an uncle who can do it for me but if it needs to bereplaced where can i source out another screen

any help info or tips or suggestions you can give me will be apreciated

below are pix of the issue

Attached Files:

2. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

If I'd been selling this iMac I would have noted in the description that there was an on-screen blemish/missing pixels, just to be fair to any prospective buyer.
    I've also purchased several, and where the ad doesn't show the iMac powered on, I've asked the seller to provide a photo to get an appreciation of the screen luminosity and general condition.
    That blemish you indicate would certainly bother me like crazy. (I have an early Apple cinema display that has a smallish, very faint, round 'shadow', which fortunately doesn't distract during normal use, although just knowing it's there is slightly annoying).
    Back to your iMac. What size is the screen? As you're probably aware they come in 15", 17" and 20" sizes.
    I noted just for reference some time back that the 17" LCD is an LG #661-2715. A quick search shows that these are/have been priced ranging from $US125 to $586, but whether these prices are current or whether the new screens are still available I'm unable to say. iFixit show a detailed guide for the LCD replacement.
    In your shoes I'd find another functional iMac G4 with good, bright screen for $50 or less.

3. apple apple macrumors member

That shadow is caused a lot, but not always, by somebody pressing on the screen. Nothing you can do to fix it short of replace the panel.

Shoot, if you really wanted to you could mount a more modern screen on a vesa plate that secures to the iMac neck (some drilling required). Then connect the VGA to a VGA to mini VGA adapter then plug it in.

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

You can either replace or attach another screen. Replacing the screen is easier than repairing it.

5. RhianB, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Ya, Id go hunt around and buy another imac for cheap and swap out the screen. Until then I'd use it. It's not horribly large. Also, if it is really bugging you, you can use the video out on the back + an external monitor. You'll need a mini vga to vga adapter - but they're cheap on ebay $3+ and a monitor obviously. The one caveat I read about was that this imac will only mirror the screen image (like my g3 bondi imac), not extend it and will run only up to 1440x900 which is good for it's 15" screen but anything bigger (20, 22, 24" etc.) may be fuzzy. Looks like someone was a little heavy handed with their thumb :p

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Like what RhianB said, you should get one cheap. Even a broken iMac would probably work for this, and you can get them extremely cheap. The shipping is likely to cost way more than the computer.

7. kaitlin4599 thread starter macrumors newbie

he showd the imac powered on i guess i didnt notice it till i got home
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    i have the 15 inch 1 ghz imac model powermac 6,1
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    any chance that you or some one can link me to a guide for replacing the screen as i can get one cheap from ebay

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here you go, and good luck...
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+Screen+Replacement/7047

9. kaitlin4599 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed