Weird double clicking bug in Finder/Safari/Textmate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dirtyhand, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dirtyhand macrumors newbie

This thing has been bugging me since I got my Macbook. Sometimes when im browsing through folders in Finder, using the icons view, ill double click on folders to open them... but sometimes this will just stop working. To fix it I have to click somewhere else, like a different folder, and then try it again.

Now something similar has happened in Textmate too, when I'm in the projects view and I want to expand a folder in the navigator by clicking on the arrow, sometimes this will just not work and I have to click somewhere else and try again to get it working... just like in Finder.

Something similar also happens in Safari when I try to click on the bookmarks in my toolbar... clicks wont work, but have to click somewhere else and then try again to fix it.

Anyone experience the same problems? Ive looked around the web but I cant find anything about it.

bump cmon, I can believe im the only one that has this problem

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

occasionally in Safari

maybe once a day , if I click the (X) in a Safari 2.x or 3.02 Tab, to close it, but my aim isn't true and I click a few thousandths of an inch off-centre of the (X) centre, then YES, I get no response from clicking anywhere inside the "x in a circle" (even though the 'close tab circle' is highlighted by my mouse pointer whenever I roll over). This inability to close the Tab is permanent! as in I have to use "The Workaround" which is to click somewhere else on another Tab, and then try again more carefully on the Tab I want to close. I find myself instead using the Ctrl+click "Close Other Tabs" so as to avoid this minor frustration. Yesterday I spent 3 hours in XP land trying to remove spyware/malware from a friends 850MHz HP Workstation, so I can take a few Mac GUI quirks, and personally I've only experienced this in OS X 10.4.x in Safari (all recent versions)

3. dirtyhand thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not only in Safari either, so this is why its bugging me. Can't believe they havent released a patch yet for this.

4. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

I`m experiencing the same problem. Thats infact the reason why i found this thread. Bloody irritating!
    I´ve noticed this just the last few months. So maybe the bug came with one of the last releases of 10.4?

5. dirtyhand thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunno, but I've done a lot of googling and searching this forums and I havent seen anyone mention this problem. I'm starting to think its not a global OS X problem, but something that I did...

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I've also had that, but its not so much if its failing to click. Its kind of like a miss-click...

The one that annoys me the most is, my single click sometimes turns into a double click when I attempt to drag the window. It actually ends up minimizing the window to the dock upon trying to drag the window.

Sometimes even worse with iTunes, if it is inactive and I click its titlebar to make it active it also turns into a double click and sends it to the dock...

Thing is though it doesn't happen all the time. It's like its random.

That drives me batty.

7. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

Whats drives me really crazy is when i mark a long list of files and folders and then try to unselect those files (by pressing :apple:-button and clicking on each file i dont want), it suddenly think i double clicked and opens up every damn file and folder that it sellected/marked. Now thats how to make me pissed..

And also the minimize-bug. Clicking on the red close-button.. nothing happens. Clicking one more time.. the windows minimizes. irritatiiiing!

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

That truly pisses me off!

I was thinking of doing a clean install because of this double clicking problem. Except my big fear is I end up reinstalling for nothing after everything has been updated...
    I just don't want to end up wasting my time when doing this was never needed. :)

My only solution well its not really a solution, experiment really. Go to Appearance under System Preferences. Uncheck (Minimize when double clicking a window title bar).
    See if its less sporadic.

9. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

Me too!

I have noticed this problem, particularly:

a) When clicking the red X to close multiple browser windows - this almost always never works. I have to move the mouse away from the x then back again for the click to work and not minimize (yes, very irritating). Pressing Ctrl W is a better option.

b) When single clicking picture files for a small preview, clicking on the file below I get a double click on the previous file which opens the file - very irritating!

I have only noticed this problem recently, but can't recall which update did it.

I use v 10.4.7

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Double clicking folders in my dock no longer works--the folders don't open. When I right click the contextual menu works.

11. dirtyhand thread starter macrumors newbie

/crosses fingers that they fix this in the next updates

12. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

As much as I'm hopeful as you, I really hope they do. Just I honestly cannot see it happening.

13. dirtyhand thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a FYI for people with this issue. I decided to reinstall Tiger because I had other weird problems popping up.... and it fixed everything. So my guess is my MacBook came with a bad OS X install. I'd recommend everyone that has this problem to do a clean reinstall.

14. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

Its working fine even after all updates installed?

15. dirtyhand thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sir. Clean install of Tiger with ALL updates and it stills working fine, no more clicking issues. Like I said, probably a bad image of OS X was installed in my Macbook at the factory.