Weird DVD burning error....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nateo200, Sep 6, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If I burn content to my set of Memorex dual layer DVD's (8.5gigs) it burns fine albeit slower than the max speed its rated for (writes at 6x max even though my Superdrive can do 8x and the disks are rated for 8x) writes it all then it gets to "verifying" and usually at like 90% or even way earlier it says "Can not verify. The disk may be corrupted or unstable". Well sure enough I freak out! I eject it and pop it in and it works fine....anyone else get this? I had a recent hard drive mess up and I'm burning lots of my ripped and converted DVD's/BluRay's rips onto dual layer DVD's for backup as I really am starting to not trust a spinning platter (aka a HDD)...I just want to make sure that if I delete the files off my hard drive 2 months from now the DVD's wont fail or something. Usually happens with dual layer DVD's but I would prefer some feed back...

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Memorex DVD-DLs are, in my opinion, some of the worst media you can get your hands on. With the exception of CD-Rs, a good majority of the Memorex discs I've burned have failed. I would recommend investing in some Verbatims. They're not that much more expensive ($30 for 25 Memorex vs $36 for 30 Verbatim at Best Buy) and the quality is worth it. If you can't get your hands on some Verbatim discs, I would recommend setting your drive's burn speed to the lowest setting and if you're using a laptop, to not move it.

I see that you're wary of HDDs because one failed, but with the cost of bytes continually decreasing, it might be wise to just invest in a large external drive for backup purposes. I have a 1 TB WD My Book I picked up over a year ago, and I haven't had any issues with it. Not to mention that I've never lost or misplaced it like I have with numerous optical discs. Of course you can't pop it in a DVD player, but with all the media boxes out there, it's simple enough to just plug a drive in and play movies off it. Just a thought.

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Woah missed this big thanks though! :) Yeah I was weary of Memorex sort of always have but I figured a disk is a disk. That said I am looking into large media storage options for my macbook pro. I'm thinking I might ditch the Super Drive and go with a 1TB internal 7200 with a 256GB or 128GB SSD for boot/primary files and use my old 1TB WD for backup.