Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrixizAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
Following the installation of my tempered glass in Apple Store I noticed an effect located or the notch. Is it normal, is it serious? I specify that you can only see it when the screen of my iPhone is white and you can see it on the edges than when you tilt the phone. Thanks for your help! I have put 2 videos for you that I filmed so that you can better understand. :apple::)?

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Took a very long time to figure out what you meant, but that’s normal. That’s just the light from the screen shining through the edges of the protector. Should happen with most protectors

Reactions: BigMcGuire

FrixizAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
Took a very long time to figure out what you meant, but that’s normal. That’s just the light from the screen shining through the edges of the protector. Should happen with most protectors
Ah ok, it was Belkin brand. But is there a solution to fix it? :apple:??‍?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
Yep. Normal - especially if the edge is kinda sharp. I've been using iCarez Matte screen protectors for the last year or so - so this is gone away with that - not like it really bothered me. What bothered me was that most tempered glass protectors had worse reflection than the normal screen itself. Good at protecting from scratches tho.

But yeah, I remember my tempered glass protectors doing this, especially in bright light.

FrixizAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
Yep. Normal - especially if the edge is kinda sharp. I've been using iCarez Matte screen protectors for the last year or so - so this is gone away with that - not like it really bothered me. What bothered me was that most tempered glass protectors had worse reflection than the normal screen itself. Good at protecting from scratches tho.

But yeah, I remember my tempered glass protectors doing this, especially in bright light.
But why are there people who don't have this 'effect'

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
You can paint the edges before applying the screen protector. That is what some motorcycle owners do on their windshields (usually third party windshields that have a bottom edge near the headlight. Personally, I like the glowing edges on my motorcycle windshield, but it does disturb some rider's night vision, or they think it does.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

FrixizAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
Depends on the screen protector used. I used to get this on my Zagg tempered glass but the Anker tempered glass didn't have it. I've never gotten Belkin's tempered. I think it's just how the make the protector when milling the glass. <shrug>.
ok

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
The Belkin is too close to the display (the part that lights up) edge. If you get a protector that is bigger than the actually display, then you won’t have this issue.

The Best Buy screen protector is bigger than than display...no issue.

FrixizAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
The Belkin is too close to the display (the part that lights up) edge. If you get a protector that is bigger than the actually display, then you won’t have this issue.

The Best Buy screen protector is bigger than than display...no issue.
Yes, I had taken Belkin because I was afraid of putting it wrong. But do you think that if I go to the Apple Store they will be able to correct this? :apple:

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
I don't think they can correct this - the only way to correct this is to get a full protector (edge to edge) or a bigger screen protector.

The Belkin is worth the $ because it's smaller - closer to the screen - that's a good thing - especially when you go to swipe up. Other cheaper tempered glass protectors feel like you're catching an edge when you swipe up. Imo, this rainbow haze is worth the alternative.

Reactions: FrixizAPPLE

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
Is it difficult to put tempered glass on ourselves?
You get used to it. Usually the first few times it is painful and difficult but --- I've always put my own on. Like with anything, practice makes perfect. If you've never done it before, definitely watch some YouTube videos on how to do it. I've never done the shower steam thing - I just make sure no air is blowing when I apply mine.

A lot of these come with lifting tabs to get bits of fuzz/fluff that gets stuck under if you do "mess up" - just take it slow.

It wasn't till about my 5th+ install that I got it down really well. Now, I can put them on with ease - but I've been doing them for years.

Reactions: beach bum

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
Is there a risk of breaking your iPhone by removing the protective glass?

The risk is bending the glass too far as you're trying to peel it off that it snaps in half and leaves a super sharp jagged edge to scratch the screen. I've never damaged my screen removing tempered glass but it spiders and can snap - making it difficult to remove. So go slow and try not to bend too much.

But just fyi, it's REALLY easy to get in the habit of thinking grass is greener on the other side. I've tried dozens of tempered glass screen protectors. They're all fairly similar. Just warning ya, it's easy to get to the point where all of a sudden you've spent hundreds on these things, :) (I've been there myself).

If you got the Belkin one at Apple - you've already got an above average tempered glass protector on - installed perfectly. Anything you do yourself (especially at first) won't line up perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.