Weird effect with iPhone camera

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rdrr, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

I was wondering if anyone else has had any weird effects with the iPhone camera. I was at the Patriots Training camp this morning and sitting in the hot sun. I took some good photos with my iPhone, but I also captured this one. It has a fisheye effect on the left side, and I am wondering if it was due to the heat. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. loudestnoise macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

Yikes, that's cool, but are you concerned about it?

3. unity macrumors 6502a

OK... I thought it was the way I took the photo, now I know it was not. I had the same thing happen. I took four photos and one was oddly warped as above.

I deleted them all, but when I get a chance I am going to take the same pics again.

Originally I thought it was because the foreground was too close to the camera compared to what I was taking a photo of. I was taking a picture out of a window and there was a frame near the center of the image.

Cool, but odd.

4. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

The camera is probably using a rolling shutter. If you are outside in excellent light and quickly pan the camera you will see the distortion. In film cameras you have a mechanical device that opens and closes in the blink of an eye. Many CCD's used in digital imaging use a rolling shutter instead of true progressive capture, i.e. the whole image being captured the same instant. With a rolling shutter each line of photoreceptors record their data and then each successive line records in series. With a really fast movement you can actually misalign those recorded lines of data getting a distorted image.

5. 103734 Guest

yea I got the same thing in this photo

[​IMG]

I was taking the photo and pulled my camera down when I was taking it by accident.

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

So.....is something wrong w/ the camera? o_O Something I should be concerned about? :confused:

7. 103734 Guest

no nothing is wrong with the camera, just don't swing it around when your using it.

8. pixelshaders macrumors member

You can even see this effect in camera mode in iphone screen if you spin the phone back and forth slowly.