Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I was wondering if anyone else has had any weird effects with the iPhone camera. I was at the Patriots Training camp this morning and sitting in the hot sun. I took some good photos with my iPhone, but I also captured this one. It has a fisheye effect on the left side, and I am wondering if it was due to the heat. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0038_2.jpg
    IMG_0038_2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 262

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
OK... I thought it was the way I took the photo, now I know it was not. I had the same thing happen. I took four photos and one was oddly warped as above.

I deleted them all, but when I get a chance I am going to take the same pics again.

Originally I thought it was because the foreground was too close to the camera compared to what I was taking a photo of. I was taking a picture out of a window and there was a frame near the center of the image.

Cool, but odd.

[G5]Hydra

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
The camera is probably using a rolling shutter. If you are outside in excellent light and quickly pan the camera you will see the distortion. In film cameras you have a mechanical device that opens and closes in the blink of an eye. Many CCD's used in digital imaging use a rolling shutter instead of true progressive capture, i.e. the whole image being captured the same instant. With a rolling shutter each line of photoreceptors record their data and then each successive line records in series. With a really fast movement you can actually misalign those recorded lines of data getting a distorted image.

Apr 10, 2007
yea I got the same thing in this photo

920220992_cc813d1195.jpg

I was taking the photo and pulled my camera down when I was taking it by accident.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
So.....is something wrong w/ the camera? o_O Something I should be concerned about? :confused:

pixelshaders

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
You can even see this effect in camera mode in iphone screen if you spin the phone back and forth slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.