Weird effect with iPhone camera

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I was wondering if anyone else has had any weird effects with the iPhone camera. I was at the Patriots Training camp this morning and sitting in the hot sun. I took some good photos with my iPhone, but I also captured this one. It has a fisheye effect on the left side, and I am wondering if it was due to the heat. :confused:

Attachments

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
OK... I thought it was the way I took the photo, now I know it was not. I had the same thing happen. I took four photos and one was oddly warped as above.

I deleted them all, but when I get a chance I am going to take the same pics again.

Originally I thought it was because the foreground was too close to the camera compared to what I was taking a photo of. I was taking a picture out of a window and there was a frame near the center of the image.

Cool, but odd.

[G5]Hydra

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
The camera is probably using a rolling shutter. If you are outside in excellent light and quickly pan the camera you will see the distortion. In film cameras you have a mechanical device that opens and closes in the blink of an eye. Many CCD's used in digital imaging use a rolling shutter instead of true progressive capture, i.e. the whole image being captured the same instant. With a rolling shutter each line of photoreceptors record their data and then each successive line records in series. With a really fast movement you can actually misalign those recorded lines of data getting a distorted image.

Apr 10, 2007
yea I got the same thing in this photo

I was taking the photo and pulled my camera down when I was taking it by accident.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
So.....is something wrong w/ the camera? o_O Something I should be concerned about? :confused:

pixelshaders

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
You can even see this effect in camera mode in iphone screen if you spin the phone back and forth slowly.