Weird etwork drive icons behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Romf, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

Hi,

I have an imac with macosX SL and an airport extreme with 2 external drives on i( one for time machine, the other for general purpose)

I've mapped these 2 drives as network drives on the iMac, and made them to automount on startup (using the login items menu)

Everything works fine except for the icons of these drives: the 1st time I mounted them, the icon was a blue one with the "airport" waves sign on it.
    But now at every startup the icon is blue with small persons on it (the general sharing icon I guess) which I don't really like :)

Weird thing is that the shortcut to the network drive in the finder (under the "places" tab) is the good one, but on the desktop it is the other one....

Someone has the solution?

2. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

So this is the icon displayed:

[​IMG]

and in attached file is the icon that I would like, as you can see it is displayed correctly under the "places" tab but nowhere else (but it used to be this one on the desktop too before....)

Attached Files:

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I can't help but wonder why you would care how the icon looks as long as the drive mounts properly? I'm a little confused as to why this bothers you. Is there some functionality missing when you see the different icon?

I get a little frustrated with bonjour which gets itself all tied up in knots if the ip address of a device changes. For this reason, I have static ip addresses for a lot of things on our network including printers, time capsule, aebs, and computers with which I want to do screen sharing. I found that if I left them all on dhcp, every now and then they would lose their ip address lease, move to another spot and bonjour would take its sweet time finding them again.

Since you are dealing with drives on an aebs, chances are the ip isn't ever changing (assuming the aebs is your router). I would try unmounting the drive and then mount it by browsing to it and see what icon it gets. Perhaps the mount that happens during login happens differently than the mount that happens when you browse to the drive. I normally see the icon in your second post for all AFP (Apple) based shares. I seem to remember it even looks the same for SMB (Windows) based shares. I don't think I've ever seen a different icon but it wouldn't distract me as long as the drive was there when I wanted to use it.

4. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

Yes everything works fine. But it is strictly for the look of this big drive icon on my desktop ;-)

Well as for the ip adress, the airport extreme is not my router, but looks like there is no problem with this

5. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

Okay so thanks to candybar I found the difference between the 2 icons:

The first is a "server", and the one I like is an "airport disk"... But don't know why it doesn't appear like that. Anyway I'll try to change the icon with candybar