Weird external drive issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mwhities, May 24, 2013.

1. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I received this 1TB drive from a friend and he said if I can backup the data on it, I could have the drive. It was previously pulled from an iMac (2010) and as far as he knows, the guy just pulled it out and that's it.

It's an Apple OEM drive that was replaced by an SSD drive. When I plug it in to my Macbook, it sees the drive and partition but, can't mount it.

When I plug it into my Windows 7 Pro (in Fusion) it sees it but, it asks me to initialize it.

Any recommendations?

See screen shots.

Attached Files:

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Assuming you can wipe it yes...?

Just hit the partition tab and click 1 partition and rename it. It should choose journaled automatically, but if not choose journaled.

Then it should wipe the drive.

I notice the drive is not partitioned GUID which is normal for a Mac drive so I think you need to repartition it.

If it is temperamental doing this (partitioning) try it a few times after ejecting. Also try erase in journaled as well.

Basically wipe it and rebuild the partition.

Alternately, if you want to keep the data then try running Repair Disk in the First Aid tab in disk util.

3. mwhities thread starter macrumors 6502a

He has data that he wants off of it, if there is any on it still.

I tried the Repair Disk but, it's all grayed out. I just noticed under Partition, Format states MS-DOS (Fat).

I'm thinking the person that took it out, formatted it to get rid of the data. Hopefully, he copied it all over.