Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
I have an external HDD here running macOS which has a few diagnostic tools on it. Generally, it never fails me. I press ALT and select disk and the OS loads and I can run my tests.

However, there is a mid-2012 iMac here and each time, I select ALT it sees the disk. But the moment I select it I get the prohibitory symbol.

If I try to run Apple Hardware Test by pressing "D" at startup all I get is "choose network".

Very frustrating. Anybody know what the problem could be?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You boot the mac from the disk? If so what OS is on the disk, and what is on the iMac?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "prohibitory" symbol (red circle with a line through it) generally means that the -version- of the OS you're trying to boot from (on the external drive) is incompatible in some way with the Mac.

Questions I'd be asking:
- What VERSION is the copy of the OS on the drive?
- What version of the OS is currently installed on the 2012 iMac?
- Assuming YOU HAVE NOT MADE ANY CHANGES to the OS on the external drive, has it booted the iMac in question before?

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
The system was running High Sierra. The external drive has El Cap on it.

But the problem is solved.

Here is the solution:

I created a new boot up disk with El Cap on it.

Installation was going great. Then I got the "installation almost complete" (or something to the effect) message. "1 second remaining..." Then I got. The "os not eligible" message. So close yet to so far. I was back to square one. Very disappointing.

Back to Uncle Google. Loads of people giving same advice about making sure the date is correct on your system. It was! However, I came across one poster who said that "out-of-date certificates" were blocking macOS installers. This got me thinking. I decided to change the date on the computer back to 2016 using Terminal. Installation went perfectly and El Capitan is now installed on system.

I have little doubt that Apple set this little quirk up deliberately to thwart users from upgrading or refreshing their systems. They want you to buy a new Mac. TBH, Apple are making Microsoft looking like Mother Theresa as each year passes...

Thank you HDFan and Fishrrman.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.