Weird faint metallic click noise whenever I move MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geoffreyq, Jul 23, 2010.

1. geoffreyq macrumors newbie

2. Drudkh macrumors newbie

Interesting, if you lift the whole laptop up - suspended, and do the same pressing action, do you still hear the clicking sound?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is normal. It is the sudden motion sensor protecting the hard drive from being damaged.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That noise doesn't sound like the sudden motion sensor. The HD heads would not be able to park and unpark that fast. I think every noise anyone ever hears with an MBP is automatically blamed on the sudden motion sensor at first :)

OP, it sounds like something is loose with the casing or maybe inside. Have you tried removing the bottom plate and screwing it back in tightly?

There's been some other odd noises coming from MBPs, like faint 'tinking' metallic sounds. After a few months someone discovered what that was and it was an easy fix. I don't think this is what you're experiencing but you can look at that here:

http://tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/

5. tf1975 macrumors newbie

Same problem

Check my Youtube page, it's very annoying.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/noreftako
    They are not able to resolve this.
    Let's keep each other posted on this. This should be resolved by apple.

6. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I had a metallic noise issue on a 2010 MBP I purchased in early April, although not quite as severe as some of the youtube posters.

I can only speculate as to the cause, but it was definitely not the hard drive's sudden motion sensor kicking in. For one, it made no difference if it was powered on or off.

Mine also had a issue where the fans or something would make an annoying "puh" sound every minute or two, so I returned it for a refund.

I took a chance last weekend though and purchased the exact same model again from the same retailer, and I'm happy to say it exhibits no sign of either problem. YMMV

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

?? Oh yes they do. They must respond and park within milliseconds else why bother?

Quick test: does this clinking only occur when the machine is running? If so, then it's the sudden motion sensor doing its job. If not then something's loose.