WEIRD fan sound! Am I okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I picked up my MBP (late 08) today, literally picked it up. Then it made this TERRIBLE grinding sound, definitely sounded like the fan was stuck on something.

After a minute or two it stopped, but I'm still incredibly worried. It sounds like it's still running now, I'm just wondering if there's any precautions I should take, and also if I'm not supposed to pick it up quickly when the fan's running hard?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. FilipMil macrumors member

hey bud,

alright so i had the same problem, seem like a lot of people are having it with the late 08 macbook pros

just take it to apple and get a replaced fan, thats all you can do, thats what i did took 15 mins to repair and ta-da.. fixed haha
    i think they shipped out a bunch of them with bad fans... but yeah thats it
    its not just u

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Agreed, the first thing to do when you feel worried is to contact Apple just in case if it was defective from the start.

On a side note, your sig is sorta "overdone". Your First Mac Ever? It's either your first Mac or it's not, you don't need to use the word "Ever". :D

5. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

There wasn't a CD in there, like I said I'm almost positive it was the fan.

I think my question is asking if it's actually defective/something I should get replaced, or if I'm okay?

Because so far it's been okay to me, sometimes it does get a little bit loud when I am working on projects, but that's usually pretty intensive stuff..

Should I bring it in anyways? It's just a pain in the butt.. have to make an appointment.. drive out there and hope they can actually fix something.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If it doesn't make the sound again then you're okay.

7. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so it hasn't made that sound again, yet, but it does have this quiet clicking sound coming from the fan. It's really low and fast, but I'm unsure if it made that noise before.

I think I should probably take it in, but I'm just worried with what they'll do with my laptop. I have a lot of important files/applications, as well as some custom RAM that I put in myself. Will they remove any of those/will anything be affected?

Also, when taking it in, generally do they hold onto the laptop for a certain period? Or fix it on the spot?

8. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

It's most likely the hard drive parking it's head to avoid any damage on impact. It's a feature that I am surprised not many users know. They always post asking why their computer clicks whenever they move it etc... The new SMC firmware released a few days ago makes it so that you really need to shake it for the hard drive to click, otherwise, before, you tap it and the hard drive head would park.