Weird file access/transfer issue, help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Santiyo2000nfo, May 29, 2014.

1. Santiyo2000nfo macrumors newbie

Hi all. I don't normally post but this issue is a little bit strange and since there are so many similar issues (but not quite like this) on the internet i could not search a solution.

The problem I have is that I have an external Harddrive which Ive nearly always had connected to my macbook, now i cant seem to access some files.

Ive been downloading a series of about 87 gigs. Its all been fine, but now it seems that i can open things ive watched up to series 5, but any new episodes just seem not to work.

I click to open a .mkv file and VLC player just hangs for ages, never really responding, computer gets really slow untill i force quit.

I tried to copy the files to my desktop and that also hangs, nothing begins to copy, i didnt leave it longer then 2 minutes but will try that in a bit.

I verified all permissions on my Mac internal HD, still same issue.

I thought it was just external HD issues, so i connected it to my windows laptop...

...now weirdly on the windows i can copy all the files that i couldn't on the mac, and play the said .mkv files with no issues, either directly from the HD or from a copied file on the desktop...

I will open the file from the mac, with VLC again and just leave it this time to see what happens, also will do the same with a file transfer and see if any issues come up.

Here are my specs, thank you any help is appreciated:

MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3427
    Displays:

2. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

The files you have downloaded could be corrupted. If your using Transmission select the torrent, click the "Transfers" menu at the top and then select "Verify Local Data". It may take a while if its a big torrent.