Weird File "Hxeaaaaah" Virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by outlawstar22, Jun 23, 2009.

1. outlawstar22 macrumors newbie

So... i was on my friends mac, and i noticed a folder in his trash bin called something like "hxeeeeeeeaaaaah"
    I didnt pay much attention to it, so i took his External Hard drive and unplugged it from his computer and plugged it into my computer, i did abit of file transfers from my comp to his external, then his external to my comp.
    Awhile later i was gonna clear my trash when i noticed the same file now in my trash, but not in his ?.?
    I opened it from the trash window and it said something about Unicode, i opened that and it showed a little icon that looked like the files in the Untitled Drive when you partition your hard drive with Windows.
    I dragged it out of my trash and scanned it with my Symantec Anti Virus program, it was clean, but oddly it didnt come out of my trash, it just copied itself onto my desktop when i dragged it.

My friend said he found it on his desktop one day, and thought his cat maybe made it, but now im suspicious since the file had things in it, and it jumped Mac's somehow.

Has anyone heard of this file or might know what it is? Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

The file was on his external. If it's in the Trash then the file still exists.

When you plugged his external into your computer the file appeared in your Trash.

It's not a virus. It didn't jump Macs, it was on the ext HD.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

bartelby is correct. In addition, when you drug it out of the trash, it copied instead of moving because that is the default action when moving between volumes. (From your friend's external drive to your Mac's internal drive)

Your friend's idea that his cat created the file makes sense. That looks like the type of file my 3 year old niece creates.

4. outlawstar22 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!
    i was just very confused as to how that happened
    i appreciate the help