Weird file sizes in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slapple, Jan 21, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

In Finder, I have the "Install Xcode.app" file which is 1.81 GB. I told Finder to duplicate it, and it created a "Install Xcode copy.app" file that is only 1.57 GB. Why isn't the duplicate the same size as the original?

Then I did a Get Info on the original, and it said the size is "1,814,588,172 bytes (1.81 GB on disk)". Then I did a Get Info on the duplicate, and it said the size is "1,570,347,315 bytes (1.81 GB on disk)". Why do both of them say "1.81 GB on disk" but then the number of bytes is different for each one?

I am running Lion 10.7.2.

2. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

I did a little more investigating. It turns out that .app files are actually directories. (I'm new to Macs, so I didn't know that.)

Now I just installed DeltaWalker (a program that lets you do a diff on files/folders), and it says that the "Install Xcode.app" directory is exactly the same as the "Install Xcode copy.app" directory. They both have the same files and subdirectories, and all of the content/data within all of the files are exactly the same.

So it looks like the duplication worked perfectly, but there's a bug in Finder. It is not reporting the size of the "Install Xcode copy.app" correctly. For some reason it thinks it is a different size than "Install Xcode.app", even though they are both exactly the same.