Weird Files I'm Not Sure Should Be There

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rupertvdb, Mar 20, 2016.

1. rupertvdb macrumors newbie

rupertvdb

Hi All,

I have some random files in my my documents that I can't seem to get rid of and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what they are.

There's a folder called: fpllfobcmq which if I delete changes it's name and contains what it calls cookie files. Then there's a file called MForGMail which when I open up in Text Wrangler I can see it references the other folder and includes my email address and a bunch of other lines of code.

Obviously i'm worried this is some kind of virus but I don't know. Maybe it's nothing to worry about...

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

You could try scanning them with VirusTotal to see if there is anything malicious contained.

https://www.virustotal.com

3. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Does that mean in your Documents Folder there is this randomly named folder with cookies in it? What can you find out from Get Info on this folder? Sounds like you have visited a web site that is dumping these on you. If in your Documents Folder, that is unusual.

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully someone can tell you these files are from some known app, but I would be concerned until I figured out how this is happening. The fact that the files are odd names, one references the other, and they are (apparently) in your Documents folder instead of some sensibly named folder in ~/Library/Preferences seems a bit suspicious to me. A quick google on "MForGMail" (using quotes which I think forces an exact match?) didn't turn up anything.

Check your "Login Items", though -- the re-creation of these files could be explained if you run some login item program that you installed long ago and forgot about.