Weird Finder behavior; Keeping Finder windows open after shutting down/loging out?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gumbyx84, Aug 1, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I know this is a weird question, but bear with me.

After reinstalling Snow Leopard (file system curruption, long story) and upgrading to 10.6.4, I noticed that any Finder windows I leave open when I shutdown or logout do not reappear/re-open on my next login. I was able to do this before the reinstall. I don't know how long my old install was corrupted, so I don't know if the windows staying around was caused by the corruption or not. Is this normal behavior or should they stay open?

2. celticpride678

Finder windows re-opening after restart is normal behavior. Delete the com.apple.Finder.plist file from ~/Library/Preferences.

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Thanks. That fixed the problem. Seems there was a permissions error that prevent the open windows being written to the plist.

Seems I have a bunch of permission issues across the system. I couldn't restore from my TM backup for some reason, so after manually backing up as many files as I could get, I had to crack open the sparsebundle and manually pull stuff out. Some of the permissions made it without issue, some didn't. For example, my FF extensions wouldn't work because I only had read permissions and Adium couldn't read some of its own configuration files. :( Its going to take me forever to figure out what permissions are messed up and need fixing. Even if I found them all, don't know what they should be.