Weird Finder behavior; Keeping Finder windows open after shutting down/loging out?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gumbyx84, Aug 1, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2008
    I know this is a weird question, but bear with me.

After reinstalling Snow Leopard (file system curruption, long story) and upgrading to 10.6.4, I noticed that any Finder windows I leave open when I shutdown or logout do not reappear/re-open on my next login. I was able to do this before the reinstall. I don't know how long my old install was corrupted, so I don't know if the windows staying around was caused by the corruption or not. Is this normal behavior or should they stay open?
  2. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Finder windows re-opening after restart is normal behavior. Delete the file from ~/Library/Preferences.
  3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks. That fixed the problem. Seems there was a permissions error that prevent the open windows being written to the plist.

Seems I have a bunch of permission issues across the system. I couldn't restore from my TM backup for some reason, so after manually backing up as many files as I could get, I had to crack open the sparsebundle and manually pull stuff out. Some of the permissions made it without issue, some didn't. For example, my FF extensions wouldn't work because I only had read permissions and Adium couldn't read some of its own configuration files. :( Its going to take me forever to figure out what permissions are messed up and need fixing. Even if I found them all, don't know what they should be.