Weird Finder Quark

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Enigmafan420, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

About a month ago, when booting any of my Macs that use time machine, finder displays the contents of my Time Machine HD (it is a WD attached to an APE).

This never happened before. It is no big deal, but does anyone know why it is restoring this window each time I reboot?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My mother had a similar problem a while back. It turned out that the folder in question was listed in her account's startup items. To check, take a look under :apple: -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup Items.

Oh yeah, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about subatomic particles, but it's just not coming.

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thanks I tried that-when I unchecked the box next to the hard drive icon and rebooted, the hard drive icon disappeared on reboot-but the finder window showing its contents still popped up.

UGG, Could this be a setting in the Airport Extreme itself?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

(Sorry, that should have been Login Items. I was posting from my iPod Touch, so I don't have the window in front of me.)

Unchecking the entry is not enough. Select it and click the –*button at the bottom of the frame.

5. devburke Guest

The checkbox is just whether it should start hidden or not. You want to remove it from the list altogether.

6. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Except, I NEED the HD to mount automatically each boot up or my time machine doesn't work.

I have the HD hooked to an Airport Extreme and this was the only way I could get it to mount on each boot-up.

I am using it as Network Attached Storage, using time machine from multiple Macs and one central storage location.

Am I not doing the whole thing correctly?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your drive should mount automatically even when it's not in your login items. Being connected to the computer is enough.

8. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Its not connected to the computer-it is connected to my Airport Extreme's USB connection.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As the others said, REMOVE the drive from the Login Items. It will still mount and be available at boot like you want.

10. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

This worked-thanks. I know when I did it the first time, it did not work. Finder did not see the network drive until I had manually mounted it. It is however finding it now, even though I have removed it from my start-up items.