Weird font problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Padraic, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Padraic macrumors regular

I'm having a problem with the way fonts are being displayed mainly on websites (including this one) and an application. :confused:

The first two screenshots are from Safari, one on the MacRumors site, the other on Apples site. The third shot is from Miro.

Please ignore Pixelmator watermark, I'm still evaluating!!! :D

Attached Files:

2. Tim117 macrumors regular

I would have said it was your browser but since it's also in an App. I don't know. Try restarting your computer then getting all the software updates.

If that's doesn't work I can't help you.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea that happens from time to time for some people. I've had it happen to Firefox and Safari. Sometimes changing a font in the browser preferences will help. Other times installing updates helps. It usually goes away with time too. I know there has been other discussions on this exact issue. Do a few searches here and see what you can find. Mix up your search terms to find them if you don't find anything at first.

4. Padraic thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both for responding. I've restarted and all patches are installed... I'm really surprised this is a known bug and Apple hasn't fixed it yet. Is it a problem just with OS X 10.4.10?

5. Padraic thread starter macrumors regular

I found a fix in case anyone else has the same problem. I followed the instructions here and deleted /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/nnn <- nnn is my profiles UID. Worked like a champ, took a little longer to log in (it had to rebuild the cache) but no font problems!!! :D

P.s. You can figure out your UID by going to the terminal and typing 'id -u xxxxx' <- xxxxx is the login of the user with the problem...