Weird Fonts after converting to OSX 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SnowField, Jun 30, 2014.

1. SnowField macrumors newbie

I upgraded both my laptops to 10.9. On both of them Google Earth now displays most of its wording in a strange font consisting of small digits and horizontal lines. On one of my laptops Wikipedia also uses a weird font that looks like a pronunciation font instead of an intelligible one. What's gone wrong? See images.

What font or fonts might I need to reinstall? Or is there some setting somewhere I need to adjust?

Thanks.

SnowField

Attached Files:

2. mfram macrumors 65816

It looks like an Asian font. Like Hindi or something. What do you have your language set to? Maybe there's some kind of font cache problem. Search the web for a way to reset your font cache.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

Most likely you've got problems with either your font cache or duplicate fonts (the latter if you've got 3rd-party apps installed).

For duplicate fonts, for each user account you have (I use 4-5 on most of my Macs), open up Font Book and use the "Look for Enabled Duplicates..." command (Command-L), and disable any duplicated files.

The only means I am aware of to clear font caches - including 3rd-party caches - is to use a 3rd-party application. I use Onyx by Titanium Software. Using the Cleaning pane, choose the Fonts tab and then the font caches you want to clear (Apple, MS, Adobe, Quark, Open source) and Execute.

My hunch is that you have duplicated fonts - I also believe that GE uses Arial (an MS font), not the Arial Unicode font in Apple's Library. Arial can be snagged by DLing and installing the MS Office 2011 Trial; I have a licensed copy... Good luck!