Weird "freeze" on MBPr - I'm so lost.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nynas, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Nynas macrumors newbie

Hello apple peeps! Really hoping someone here can help me out.

So I've been having this weird problem that, for the life of me, I can't figure out. Even after sending it off to Apple Care. Anyway, what's been happening is anytime I start doing something of graphical (or hardware) intensity at some point all forms of input controls lock up. The external keyboard and mouse stop responding, as well as the laptops keyboard and trackpad. Nothing responds until I do a forced shut down, then on restart everything works again until the next "freeze." Odd thing is, everything else continues to function, whether it is a video or a game, video and sound will play like normal indefinitely I just can't do anything. However if I close the laptop and open it back up, the screen goes black and stays black.

To further complicate things, this "freeze" is literally THE MOST inconstant system failure I've ever encountered. It happens most often while playing World of Warcraft, but also while using Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator. Especially if I have multiple Adobe programs open at once, like Photoshop + InDesign (one morning before class it "froze" 3 times on me while I was preparing a presentation). Sometimes It happens just with video streaming + multiple other browser tabs! And I've been keeping logs, starting a timer whenever I open these power hungry programs. This "freeze" will happen anywhere between 3min and 3 hours! It's not something I can ever expect when it happens, I just save often and hope for the best.

Sometimes I'll, say, open WoW, I get a freeze within 9min. then I restart try again, and it's fine for 3 hours!

One last thing I have noticed, is that this problem doesn't seem to happen if I only use the laptops onboard keyboard and trackpad, not really sure though because I don't use it often. Even so, I've been using the same logitech mouse and keyboard (with no logitech support programs) for over 4years, and for the 1st whole year I've had this Macbook this never happened.

What have I done to try and stop this? I'll start by saying I have not upgraded to El Capitan and am still on OSX 10.10.5.

So before going to the Genius Bar this is everything I did:

• Virus Scanned W/ ClamXav
    • PMC Reset
    • SMC Reset
    • All programs and plug-ins updated
    • (Java had not been auto updating)
    • Disk permisions verified and repaired
    • Disk verified and repaired
    • OS X Reinstalled
    • Apple Diagnostics Checked
    • No problems Found
    • Disk Erased and OS X Reinstalled

All resulted in nada, problem persisted.

Doing all of the above is supposed to point to a hardware issue right? At least that's the theory we were going with. But ONE MORE strange thing, I tested the issue out in Bootcamp, playing Skyrim on Windows 7 for a little bit...the external controls never froze up like the mac side, but every couple minutes they would stop working for about 5+sec, then start working again...almost like they disconnected for a moment.

So at this point I've taken the thing to the Genius bar, I showed them everything I've done and the guy just says "we'll send it off to the repair center." He then runs one little boot-up test of some kind (something about connecting to a network in the store) and there was an error that he says definitely suggests a GPU issue. Computer then get's sent off for 5 days...and they replace the logic board, not the GPU (oh and the screen lighting is kinda messed up on the bottom, but that kinda fixed itself...?). I think everything is fine, take it home and go about my business...2 hours later the lock-up happens.

And that is basically my story so far. Atm I just have to deal because I'm in design school, and I simply cannot be without my computer for another 5 days until December. If anyone has any ideas I would LOVE to hear them. I've tried looking at System Diagnostics in Console, but I really don't understand any of that stuff lol.

2. techedude macrumors regular

3. Nynas thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a 15"

4. techedude macrumors regular

I used to have problems with it freezing like that on my 15in. I had to turn off the graphics switching and it seemed to fix my issues. I was getting really bad lag and freezing.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Well, if like you say it only happens when using the external keyboard and mouse, then I would either try a different external keyboard and mouse, or stop using them altogether.

If you are using the external keyboard and mouse via Bluetooth, then I suppose it could be the airport card in the system, as they are usually not replaced as part of a simple logic board replacement. So, it's possible that could be the issue, but I would try a diff mouse and keyboard just to be sure.

If they are connected via USB, then it's possible that it could be a problem with the IO board as that is separate from the logic board, and contains the USB ports. I would still try a different keyboard and mouse though, as it's a pretty simple test and cost to rule them out as the cause.

6. Nynas, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015

Nynas thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG! somehow I had no idea this was a thing! definitely going to give this a try! The guy at the Genius Bar seemed to think it was the graphics switching that was messing things up even.

Yeah I really should try this too, it just means acquiring one. But If it was these specific peripherals that I've been using for years suddenly causing an issue, that would just be weird right? Everything is connected via USB, so the IO board would make more sense.

*sigh* well I tried that. Same issue occurred. Though I hadn't done a restart yet...maybe it will hold now?

7. msc3 macrumors newbie

I experienced this hanging (although it was complete lockup and would eventually restart of its own accord) on a mid 2012 15" MBPr.

I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this but since 10.11 (at launch and with 10.11.1) it hasn't happened.

8. Nynas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been considering doing just that to see if it fixes everything...I haven't because my buddy that works at an Apple Support call center advises against it because most of the calls he gets now are about 10.11.

9. Dendensky macrumors newbie

Were you able to fix your computer yet?

10. Nynas thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if it's "fixed," but after buying a new mouse (replacing one i've been using for 4 years) the problem seems to have stopped happening.

Makes absolutely zero sense to me....but hey, it's working for now I guess.

11. leman macrumors 604

This could be the graphics subsystem crashing. I seldomly got this on earlier 10.11 developer betas. Usually the driver will restart after 20-30 seconds. Did you try waiting a bit when that happens?

P.S. Just saw your last post, should have read more attentively. Glad its resolved!

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I kept my heavily used, yet pristine, perfectly functioning 15" Mid 2012 MBPr as a spare upon purchasing my 15" Mid 2015 MBPr.

Once a every week or two I take it out, use it for a few hours just to keep it ready and put it back. Last week it froze in a manor exactly as you described. So I continued to use it for a few more days to track the pattern if any. I found it crashing six to eight times in a full day of work. Calling Apple since I always buy AppleCare, they suggested the genius bar. The genius bar ran some tests, then it was off to the repair depot they use. When it was returned they had replaced the logic board.

To double check I used it for one week without a problem, so in my case that's what it took.

If not for AppleCare, I would have had to pay for it myself. With AppleCare it was free.
    Very well worth the money in my opinion.