Weird Freezing issue with 2012 Macbook pro(non-retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdoutine, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jdoutine macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have a new 2012 Macbook Pro. It's great, I just have one problem, and it's not even that big of one. Every once in a while it freezes and I can't do anything with it. Just trying to figure out what it is.

Specs:

-15" Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7(Ivy Bridge)
    -8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 Ram(Corsair Vengeance-self upgraded)
    -256GB SSD(Crucial M4 - also self-upgraded)

I posted a video here for you guys to see what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9RC78eL6BA&feature=player_embedded

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, any help is appreciated. If you need anything else from me, let me know that as well.

2. Airballs macrumors newbie

Have you figured this out? Mine is doing the same thing. Would love to know if you fix yours, mines doing this 1-4x a day :-/

3. jdoutine thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, nothing yet. Mine happens rarely, but it is still annoying when it does.

4. jhyt89 macrumors newbie

hi, mine freezes but in a different way. instead, colourful lines appear across the screen. It's the same macbook pro 13 inch 2012 model. And yes it happens when I am watching youtube in safari, 2 or 3 times a day.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

First you need to pull the RAM you installed and put the original memory back in. If it still locks up, then pull the upgraded HDD next.

6. Airballs macrumors newbie

so you would consider the problem being bad 3rd party ram or hdd

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Thats the first step of troubleshooting I would take...

I don't know how they do it now, but Apple used to include a hardware test on one of the discs that shipped with the computer(on my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro, you could access it by rebooting with the "Applications install DVD" in the optical drive and holding down "D"). Do they still provide anything like this?

8. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

Its because of RAM.I dont understand why u people dont buy OWC certified components?Yes,its expensive for few buck,but its 100% tested and compatible.

9. jdoutine thread starter macrumors newbie

any ram that is within the specs of what apple puts out, 8GB and 1600MHz should be perfectly compatible. Haven't had it freeze since upgrading to ML, but if it does, I'll try swapping RAM out.

10. MattAtlanta macrumors member

go to genius bar and have them do a diagnostic... i'm thinking logic board issue.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

OWC may be tested and certified, but I've still had trouble with their memory. As the OP said, if it matches Apples specs it should work.

Sometimes simply reseating the RAM will fix the issue. I had to do that with the 2 x 4GB sticks I recently installed into my 2009 13" MBP.

12. jdoutine thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that as well. So far so good though. No freezes since ML upgrade.

----------

Hoping not. Like I said it doesn't happen often. Once in a rare while. I live about an hour and a half from an apple store now. But in less than a month that will change to about 6.5 after I move. Hoping it doesn't come to that

13. airplai macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Mid 2012 (non-Retina) Freezing

I just recently bought the Macbook Pro about two weeks now and it have been freezing from day one with Lion. I updated it to Mountain Lion and it still freeze ever now and again. I got tired and need to get some work done in Pro Tools so I couldn't risk it freezing on important clients projects so I install Windows 7 and everything work flawless. Macbook Pro run Windows 7 better than the standard PC. LOL. Anyway clearly this isn't an hardware issue it seem to be more an software problem.

----------

That sounds about right, My Macbook Pro 15" 2012 does the same thing. Not anymore since I install Windows 7 through Bootcamp. Now I can get some work done.