Weird/frustrating problem with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I'm really starting to beleive that it's impossible to have a shared iPhoto library between 2 users on the same machine with SL. The library was in the shared folder and worked flawlessly until I upgraded to SL. If I uploaded pics, when my wife went to view them on her account, the pics show up and you can clearly see them there, but when she double clicks one of the pics, the pic just dissapears. Almost like she didn't have the proper permissions. I set her up with full read/write acesss before any of this btw.

I put a call in with Apple's tech support. The guy tells me to rebuild the thumbnail library and repair the iPhoto permissions. Seemed like a logical solution. Did that and it didn't help. Called Apple again and was told by this genious that if I wanted to share the library like this I should make a disk image that ignores ownership and put the library in there. He said I could do it on the internal HD or Put it on my Time Capsule and access it wirelessly. That sounded like a good idea, so I did that exactly the way he reccomended and guess what? IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!

I can mount the sparse image on my wife's account and see thousands of photos that were there previously no problem. But the ones I uploaded today from my user account I can look through all of the thumbs clear as day but when I double click one, it still friggin dissapears!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I've lost faith in Apple's tech support on this issue.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

With just about every file in Mac OS, you can right click to get info and manual assign permissions. I would make a copy of the Photo Library before you try it, but Get Info on it then make sure that your wife's account has Read/Write permissions on the file. There is a Sharing/Permissions section at the very bottom of the window you can drop down. You may have to enter an admin password in order to modify it.

3. ukuleleman macrumors member

SL and iPhoto

I am in the process of trying to rid myself of Snow Leopard, I have lost my iPhoto library twice recently, the second time after working laboriously to gather any remaining pictures on my drives, I had just got a good collection onto iPhoto when it threw a wobbler again and I lost the lot, but not before I had backed them up into folders.

There are hundreds if not thousands out there with the same problems, one guy lost the photographic record of the first six years of his son's life because he trusted Snow Leopard like we all did.

I can tell you now that restoring permissions will have not the slightest effect, neither will restoring the iPhoto library with the download restorer, when these photos go, they go completely from the drive unless you have them in folders, well that's my experience anyway.

Sorry to be such a Jonah, but that's the way of it and there is no help from the Apple geniuses in the sale rooms or Apple themselves, after all, they are not going to admit that they put software out that is as bad if not worse than Microsoft.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

No, he lost it because he was an idiot and didn't have backups. Its *inevitable* that something will eventually go wrong and nuke your data if you don't have it backed up.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

/agreed.
    You should be backing up your critical data on a regular basis. Right now I just burn dvd's once every few months but I plan on getting a thumbdrive or external HD holder when I upgrade to a 500GB hd in my macbook.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

There are also thousands if not tens of thousands out there with no problems running Snow Leopard or iPhoto, like myself.