Weird G4 MDD Cache Issue!?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adcx64, Aug 4, 2012.

1. adcx64, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hey guys,

My G4 MDD has Dual 7448B CPUs with 2MB Cache each. Today I reapplied thermal paste as a early maintenance task. Now, System Profiler reports the CPU's as having 256K L2 cache each! What could be going wrong? Should I reseat my daughter card? The reset-all command in OF doesn't fix this. It seems as if my L3 cache is now non existent!

Thank you!

2. TheUI macrumors newbie

I am considerably new at the PPC Mac game, so I would advise waiting for one of the gurus to chime in, however...

I was experiencing some amount of sluggishness on my newly acquired G4, and I applied a fix I tried on a lame duck system I had purchased a week earlier, which was to "clear the PRAM/NVRAM."

This is done by shutting the computer down and then upon restart holding the option key, apple key, p key, and r key. You hold it through the boot sound, and don't let go! You will then hear a quieter boot sound and that is the system "flushing" out some measure of "RAM." I held my buttons through a sequence of three of these noises.

The reason I bring this up without clearly knowing wether or not it will help, is;

1. To try and help you, as I don't think you can damage your system this way.

2. To learn more myself, which is why I'm hoping the big dogs chime in.

Good luck!

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

He happens to be one of the big dogs.

4. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

It seems as though Ive fixed it, by reseating my RAM! Any ides as to why the RAM caused a faulty L3 cache report?

5. TheUI macrumors newbie

I really had no way of knowing that. Just let me know if hari kari is in order. ;)