Weird GFX problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeeklancer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Okay, so I now there is alot of hoopla about nvidia right now, but I get odd results when I push my mbp's gfx card, but it does not feel like hardware, but software. Let me explain.

Fist, here is my mbp:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Okay, so I installed wow, just to tinker around in it. Played it for maybe 30 min. I could hear the fans take off like a jet. GFX were smooth and all.

So I went back to browsing the web, and then when I tried to play a quicktime vid I got the beach ball of death. The beach ball would move all around and continued to spin. But the dock would not come up. iTunes continued to play songs to my airport express. I was able to sleep the mac and bring it back on. iTunes continued to play but all I got was the same frozen screen and a moveable beach ball. If I would try to use spaces I would get an odd black flickering like a black window overlay was trying to display, it would flicker a few times then go back to the frozen screen and beach ball.

I was able to force reboot the mac and everything came back up fine. I don't think this is a hardware issue because if it were I feel the beach ball would be affected. Eg, if the beach ball can update sections of the screen then the software at some level still had control of the hardware. If it was a failing gfx card the beach ball would be affected too.

Anyway, Just wanted a second opinion before I take it to apple. My mac is just about one year old :/

-Zeek

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian