Weird glitch: crash then Cover Art = random web page clippings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if my MBP's nVIDIA card needs replacing again. I've just had a really weird crash, and its the second time in two days.
    The first sign of any trouble was last week, I was playing a bit of Call of Duty 2 and it completely froze, although my iTunes continued to stream over Airtunes the whole time. Basically it started with the screen freezing in play, and then moving forward slightly, but at probably about 0.1 FPS, as in every ten seconds I'd get a new frame. I eventually had to force shut down.

Last night, I popped in a Simpsons DVD, and as soon as DVD Player came on and the screen went black, I got a spinning beach ball. It sat there and did nothing, occasionally switching back to a regular mouse pointer and then back to beach ball, until eventually giving me all sorts of weird distorted sections of the screen back. The mouse cursor also at one point was moving around very jumpily, reminding me of when I was having kernal panics before I replaced my first graphics card last summer. We switched to watch the DVD on my girlfriend's computer, and after 20 minutes, my computer gradually came back to life.

Just this morning, I was listening to a radio station stream over Airtunes, turned on my SNES emulator, and it froze at the very first screen. The mouse cursor remained responsive and airtunes continued to stream, but I couldn't get any response, trying Apple-Q and Force Quit a few times. I tried closing the lid of the laptop, and it continued streaming the music, although I did see the apple logo dim so the screen did go off. Opening it again and it stayed frozen on a black screen. I let the computer sit for about 15 minutes, then tried closing the lid again, and it seemed to respond this time, stopping the streaming music. Opening it again, i slowly got the screen back, first seeing my Safari window, although with blank patches on the screen, so no Menu bar at the top, a little chip taken out of the top left corner of the Safari window, and a few random black rectangles blocking out patches of the Safari window, including one over my Google Maps bookmark in the bookmarks bar. See the first attached photo.

Then in the second photo, you can see portions of the safari window that are raised as though a they were new small windows in front of my safari window. These turned out to be the Force Quit window which I had summoned earlier, and the prompt that comes up when you press the power button, asking if you're sure you want to Shut Down, Restart etc...

Once those finally came into view, i closed them, and the computer more or less seemed to be back to normal, except that the cover art in my iTunes had been replaced with weird clippings of the various web pages in my Top Sites. See photos 3, 4 and 5. After scrolling through Cover Flow a bit, most of the cover art is back to normal, but anything that was previously coverless is still full of Top Sites clippings. Weird!!

Does this seem like it could be my nVIDIA card needing replacement again? It's a mid 2007 MBP, it had the original card replaced sometime last summer. The extended coverage on the card will be over this June.

Thanks for your advice!

Attached Files:

2. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

so far everything's back to order and I haven't had any problems since. All the cover art went back to normal after a reboot.

This computer definitely needs a new battery, it's almost three years old and down to about 66% capacity. I don't see how this could be related, but I'm stuck trying to figure out whether I should bother getting a new battery if this computer's about to crap out on me anyway.