Weird graphics bug

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cocky jeremy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

As i've posted in here before, i've been getting random kernel panics and freezes. (Mouse moves, but won't interact with anything) Well, i've done a clean install of Lion, uninstalled apps, and the problem has reduced. But i finally grabbed a screenshot of something that happens before the freezes occur. (Sometimes only minutes before, sometimes it goes away and doesn't freeze)

Picture one: Weird pixels
    Picture two: Shows how the weird pixels don't stick to the same spot of the screen, but move to the same spot that it appears on the desktop. (It doesn't stay at spot 2, but instead goes to spot 1)

Also, when i change wallpapers, it goes away. Any ideas?

Pic 1: http://cl.ly/0o3a120A1z341P3x0X37/o
    Pic 2: http://cl.ly/1n1f3J1B452t0c0Y2B27

2. Sabik macrumors member

Clearly the problem is not software related. If I had to guess I'd say your graphic card is at serious risk of dying one moment to another, and these continuos freezes and kernel panics are not a good sign. I'd have a "genius" take a look at it asap. Is your warranty expired?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I also think you have a bugged or dying graphics card. You will likely need for it to get replaced to resolve the issue.

4. cocky jeremy, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Greeeeat. No Applecare anymore. I'm guessing a graphics card will cost at least 1/4 of a new machine, too. On top of that, no Apple store within 2 hours of me.

EDIT: I can play Minecraft just fine for an hour or more, but something as simple as a Twitter application will crash and freeze everything. WTF. lol.

5. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Update: Took my Mac to an authorized center (No Apple stores within 2 hours) and they tested it for a week. They let hardware tests run overnight and kept it looping, not one error. They only got it to freeze up one time the entire week, yet i turn it on and not 2 minutes into being booted up, i see the glitchy graphics already. WTF. Ready to give up and sell this thing.

6. Sabik macrumors member

How much would a new graphic card costs anyway? Did you ask them? That's strange they found no error.

7. cocky jeremy, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

They quoted it at a little over $400. It's very strange. I even told them how i can replicate it almost 100% of the time, and they still couldn't make it freeze more than the one time. It seems ok so far. If it messes up too much more, i'll just sell it for whatever i can and buy two new iMacs instead of one, i guess.

EDIT: Clean install of Lion, same exact results.