weird graphics problem on 9600m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhu2, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jhu2 macrumors member

So first some background information.

I usually don't run the MBP on the 9600, but day I thought hey might as well, I paid for it. I used it once or twice before to test it out but never more than 4-5 hours. Today I decided to run it the whole day, and really put it though some intense work. Before whenever I payed WoW, after a few mins it would shut itself down, a well documented issue on these forums as well as the apple forums. But today, I decided to keep the fans up, and low and behold, it didn't shut down.

I didn't notice any issues throughout the whole day, until I started up fusion at night to do a quick convert using a program. The blue windows background had pixelated vertical lines across the whole screen. So I thought it was a windows issue. After I logged out of fusion, I noticed a few pixelated lines where ever there was a great contrast between colors. I monitored the cpu temp and it was a steady 70 degrees Celsius.

The vertical lines became much worse, and then the whites started to flash yellow. I decided to restart osx still in 9600 mode, and it didn't help. I went back to 9400 and it fixed it. After 10 mins, I switched back to 9600 and it was gone. But it came back after 10 mins of use.

Any one know what's going on? I've had this MBP for a little under a month now, and I'm sure I won't be able to get it replaced.

notice the lines vertical lines in the blue and purple: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3088795118_1dd016e0c0.jpg?v=0
    notice the lines in the clouds: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/3088795282_b0e60eb5d3.jpg?v=0
    and no lines on 9400m: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/3087957759_d4b4dab116.jpg?v=0

2. cg165 macrumors regular

Seems like a problem with the 9600m card. Call apple or take it into an apple store if you're near one.

3. ManWithhat macrumors regular

My 9600 has had none of those problems, and I game all night on WoW. Definitely take it in to apple or RMA it. You paid a good price for that laptop.

4. jhu2 thread starter macrumors member

a little update

This morning I woke up and the lines were gone, so I decided to run it for a bit, and again after five minutes, they started appearing. Thinking maybe heat was the issue, I cranked up the fans, using smcfancontrol, and the lines started to disappear! So now, I'm pretty sure its the heat caused by the GPU thats causing the issue.

I want to take it into the apple store asap, but I can't until I'm done with exams. Even after I'm done with exams, I need my laptop for work. I'm afraid, since I'm over the exchange period, they will take it for like 2 weeks while I am laptopless. But I'm pretty sure thats what its come to. I don't understand how a 2500 dollar laptop can break down so fast. *sigh*

5. six.four macrumors 6502

my stock 9600m gets hotter than my 8600gt did overclocked - which concerns me greatly.

I ran some benchmarks for kicks - and logged the GPU temps. For the 9600, it gets up to 96 C. My overclock 8600m never reached over 87 - and it was heavily overclocked.

I have a suspicion this is due to the fans not kicking in. My 8600m would kick to the full 5 or 6k rpm when it got over 85C. The 9600m remains absolutely silent throughout the entire benchmark... - my guess is it never even reach 4krpms.

all my tests were done in windows xp sp3 with the stock boot camp 9600m gt drivers.