Weird "greetings" on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thexshattered, Mar 22, 2009.

1. thexshattered macrumors newbie

Very rarely--though still often enough for me to be a little weirded out by it--my iPhone displays some sort of "greeting" messages when I press the sleep button to wake it up.

Here's a screenshot of the most recent one:

[​IMG]

There have been other messages that say things like "GOODNIGHT" and "HAPPY VALENTINE'S" I think(?), all in white text with just the "Dismiss" button at the bottom and a blank black background.

It doesn't do anything malicious, in fact it doesn't affect my iPhone at all (at least, not to my knowledge). I was just curious as to what it was and if anyone else was getting these greetings from their iPhone at random times.

2. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

lol! It's a code that someone can use to send messages between iPhones. Someone you know is most likely pranking you. There are a few other threads on the site about it. I would find them for you but I am on my iphone right now.

3. Tres macrumors regular

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Does it require the phone to be jailbroken?

5. Tres macrumors regular

It's a type of SMS message, it's not limited to iPhones.

6. JerFresh macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to do this using AT&T? I have been trying to find this out for like a week now! Thanks for your help!

7. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hmm that is strange.

Don't know if it is similar at all, but after having my iPhone replaced due to a crack, this message came up a few times, but when I got home from Sydney and sync'd back with the iMac, they stopped.

[​IMG]

Pressing either button just closed the screen and continued whatever the phone was doing. No apparent damage done.

8. thexshattered thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I don't really know anyone else with an iPhone, except for my sister... And the messages always seem to be the same. I think I've seen the "SMILE :)" message twice now, always in the same format...

How do I send the messages? :p

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

It's flash SMS. Each carrier has a little 'code' that goes before a text, and it makes that sort of thing appear.

There are a few of these threads on here, the most recent is one where some guys friend sent him one saying "Scanning for Jailbreak".

For O2 UK you have to put *go before your message. Eg "*goScanning Device for Modifications" would appear as "Scanning Device for Modifications on the screen.

It's how they display the "You have £x.xx remaining" messages on PAYG phones after you've sent a text/had a phone call :

Search the forums, someone posted all the message codes for different carriers.

10. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I have had this before. It was just in normal use and happened a few time but hasn't happened for a while.

11. thexshattered thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks. I had no idea you could do this. Only thing left to figure out is who exactly is sending me those messages. Haha...