Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjvi5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
So I've used Handbrake to rip all of my movies to m4v format. No issues. I insert a dvd, open handbrake, select Apple TV as the type of format and hit start. Then I import the file into itunes. Now here's the weird part that only just started occurring:

After the m4v is done importing into itunes, if I go to my atv device the movie shows as acceptable to being put on the sync list with my atv.

However, after I change the name of the movie in itunes (just the name of the file, not the format or anything else) then it goes to gray in the sync screen and won't let me sync it to my atv.

What would be causing that and is there any way to avoid it. The movies play fine on itunes and as as I mentioned I used the ATV settings in handbrake. And obviously if they show up as acceptable initially, why would simply changing the name switch the format and acceptability for syncing?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
in changing the name, you aren't by chance changing the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 are you ?

Ac3 pass thru and chapter markers only work with the .m4v file extension.

kjvi5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
in changing the name, you aren't by chance changing the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 are you ?

Ac3 pass thru and chapter markers only work with the .m4v file extension.

No, not changing the extension. Just to be safe, I changed the file name prior to importing it to itunes (being sure to leave the m4v extension intact). And that worked. Although when I went to change the genre (Drama, horror, etc.) that also changed it's syncability.

kjvi5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Exactly how are you making these changes?

Do you have iTunes organising your library for you?

Cheers, Ed.

Yes, I have itunes organizing my library for me.

I basically single click the title of the movie in my library and then retype the name. Same thing with the genre.

The thing is I've done this before. I have 200 or so movies in my library that I did this with and had no problem. It's only been recently.

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Have you checked to see if the movie still plays after this? There is a known issue where altering a file's tags after using metaX causes the file in rare instances to become corrupt... This could be the source of your problem.

kjvi5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Have you checked to see if the movie still plays after this? There is a known issue where altering a file's tags after using metaX causes the file in rare instances to become corrupt... This could be the source of your problem.

It still plays in itunes no problem. It just doesn't show as being an acceptable format to sync to or play on my atv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.