Weird Happenings....just got my MBP today, is this an issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carcass29, Mar 3, 2008.

1. carcass29 macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP today...all has been great until a few minutes ago(this is my first Mac by the way) My keyboard lights are turning on and off....everytime I put my hands over the speakers the lights come back on and the screen dims...is this a big problem and should it be returned right away or is this common? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The ambient light sensor is under the speaker grill. Just turn off the light sensor with either the Function key, or in the Keyboard Preference Pane.

TEG

3. calvy macrumors 65816

I've turned off the autodim feature because I find it annoying. I'm not sure if your's is having problems, but I know that it annoys the crap out of me. So I just turn it off. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Mine does the same thing. I believe there is a sensor in there that determines the light level. When it gets dark enough, it turns on the keyboard backlights.

5. JCT macrumors 6502

Don't worry, that's where the sensors are for the backlit keyboard -- it's behaving normally.

Enjoy your Mac -- awfully nice machine to start with!

JT

OK, that has to be some sort of record -- 4 posts within a minute with the answer?

6. r00 macrumors member

The ambient light sensor is in the speakers on the MacBook Pros. For the screen dimming, just go into preferences and go to Display and at the bottom uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness..." As for the keyboard lighting you can use a program called "Lab Tick" which will run the light as long as you please.

7. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

whew...thanks for the info and the fast responses...I didn't expect to get an answer for hours, much appreciated everyone! :D

8. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Being since this is your first Mac, you may find many features that seem 'surprising' to you at first. :)

9. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Same as me!

That is the same MBP that I ordered. It's also my first Mac. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I work in a Mac Lab at school, but this is my first Mac. Can't wait.

10. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah...it's already taking some getting use to, I had to search online earlier to find out how to turn the machine off :p ...thank god for youtube.