Weird icon on the menu bar. Computer freezes when it shows up.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xfusejc, Oct 14, 2010.

1. xfusejc macrumors 6502

It has happened twice already, and both times, the computer completely froze. I could move my mouse, but no matter how many times I clicked, wherever I clicked, nothing worked. Since everything pretty much stops working, I haven't been able to right click on it and see what menu might come up or if there's any information on it.

I took a screencap before I restarted. I hope someone here has seen it and knows what the hell it is. It's the arrow encased in the not-at-all-obvious red square.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Looks like some kind of eject disk icon. You could try pressing the Option key while you click it to see if it shows you anything. If you want to get rid of it, try pressing Command while you drag it off the Menu Bar.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It actually looks like the CAPS LOCK key icon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have you installed any third party keyboard accessory?

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

About.com: Macs: Eject CD: Add a Menu Bar Item to Eject a CD or DVD <--- Please ignore. Incorrect information.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Once again you're right! :) I didn't realize from the tiny picture in that article that it was different. Thanks spinnerlys for correcting my misinformation.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No problem, and you weren't spreading misinformation. Maybe the OP can get rid of it via the "Command and drag" option the article provided.

And I learnt again on how to get the Eject icon into the menu bar, though I might forget it sometime in the future.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

It might be:

[​IMG]
    CapSee is a small utility that lets you see when you bump the caps lock key. Identical to the built-in Mac OS notification bezels, like volume and screen brightness, CapSee presents a bezel whenever you enable caps lock... preventing the accidental caps lock forever!

There was a version 1.2 released, March 2010 that added a new feature of hiding the menu icon.

9. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

I had installed a new Logitech Mac keyboard. I checked around the settings and there's an option to have the Caps lock displayed on the menu.

I don't understand why the computer would freeze with that though.

Thank you, by the way, to everyone that answered.