Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
It has happened twice already, and both times, the computer completely froze. I could move my mouse, but no matter how many times I clicked, wherever I clicked, nothing worked. Since everything pretty much stops working, I haven't been able to right click on it and see what menu might come up or if there's any information on it.

I took a screencap before I restarted. I hope someone here has seen it and knows what the hell it is. It's the arrow encased in the not-at-all-obvious red square.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 233

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Looks like some kind of eject disk icon. You could try pressing the Option key while you click it to see if it shows you anything. If you want to get rid of it, try pressing Command while you drag it off the Menu Bar.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
It has happened twice already, and both times, the computer completely froze. I could move my mouse, but no matter how many times I clicked, wherever I clicked, nothing worked. Since everything pretty much stops working, I haven't been able to right click on it and see what menu might come up or if there's any information on it.

I took a screencap before I restarted. I hope someone here has seen it and knows what the hell it is. It's the arrow encased in the not-at-all-obvious red square.

About.com: Macs: Eject CD: Add a Menu Bar Item to Eject a CD or DVD <--- Please ignore. Incorrect information.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The icon in the OP's menu bar:

The Eject icon, as displayed in the menu bar:

Once again you're right! :) I didn't realize from the tiny picture in that article that it was different. Thanks spinnerlys for correcting my misinformation.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Once again you're right! :) I didn't realize from the tiny picture in that article that it was different. Thanks spinnerlys for correcting my misinformation.

No problem, and you weren't spreading misinformation. Maybe the OP can get rid of it via the "Command and drag" option the article provided.

And I learnt again on how to get the Eject icon into the menu bar, though I might forget it sometime in the future.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
It might be:

capsee02.jpg

CapSee is a small utility that lets you see when you bump the caps lock key. Identical to the built-in Mac OS notification bezels, like volume and screen brightness, CapSee presents a bezel whenever you enable caps lock... preventing the accidental caps lock forever!

There was a version 1.2 released, March 2010 that added a new feature of hiding the menu icon.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I had installed a new Logitech Mac keyboard. I checked around the settings and there's an option to have the Caps lock displayed on the menu.

I don't understand why the computer would freeze with that though.

Thank you, by the way, to everyone that answered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.