Weird icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Aug 11, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hi all, I have a question that concerns file downloads. When I say download a word document from an email through firefox i get an icon that looks like a jack in a box but more of the box looking like a computer. however, once the download is complete, it changes to a word file icon. what is going on??

thanks and glad i can start posting more regularly again lol

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That "jack in the box" file is just a temp file to store the contents until it is completely downloaded. Windows does the same thing, but you can't see the temp file. It's normal behavior. If you have file extensions turned on the tmep file usually has the "part" extension (i.e. filename.part).

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

wierd i have never noticed it before. nonetheless are you able to change the icon?

4. redtag2 macrumors newbie

weird icon

I had the same thing happen but the icon turned the file which was written on Word X into a Word 5 file. At least the file showed up on my desktop with an old Word doc file icon. I am using OSX 10.4. now thats kind of weird I thinnk and it doesn 't seem to be related to just a temporary downloading issue, it seems as though this little jack in the box or joker man icon was indicating that the file was corrupted somehow in transit. I have been trying to figure out whether there is a virus involved, but everything I read implies that MAcs don't get many viruses. Another email attachment I sent to myself fromm work changed a WORD file into a binary file and the icon that shows up after download indicates that the Word doc was changed to a MPEG file. Any ideas on what is going on or whether I can find out if there is a virus?