Weird iMac G5 screen blocks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5owner12, Feb 20, 2012.

1. G5owner12 macrumors newbie

This just started today. I was watching a TV show in iTunes and this suddenly happens to the screen. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

-iMac G5 2.0GHz
    -2 GB RAM
    -1 TB HD

Sorry, the picture is upside down.

Attached Files:

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Try Restarting, Resetting your PRAM ( Hold Command/Apple Key + Option/Alt + P + R ) and get back to use.

Although it will probably be the Caps in the iMac....

3. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

That looks like a bad graphics card BGA. :(. That's a bummer. Usually caps have other shapes and other symptoms such as freezing, KPs, windows sticking after moving. If the only thing it's doing is weird colors, I'm gonna say the graphics BGA unfortunately. PM me if you have any more questions.

4. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I had exactly the same problem on our iMac G5 ALS 20 inch just recently. I couldn't explain how the problem came about as it came literally out of nowhere. Unfortunately this seems to be the price for all in one designs - the heat becomes too much with time and the graphic chip gets fried.

I decided to sell it off fast and still cash in on while it still booted up.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The iMac G5's are plagued with issues, and the failure of the GPU comes as no surprise for somebody who's worked on so many of these.

To repair this machine, it will require replacing the motherboard. Personally, it'd be far more economical and feasible to just buy a new machine than go through the trouble. Luckily, though, transferring all of your data to a new Mac would be as simple as connecting a FireWire cable and using Target Disk Mode.