Weird incoming SMS sound issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BOSS10L, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Okay, I have a peculiar issue that I hope my fellow iPhone owners can help me with. I recently upgraded to a white 16GB 3G iPhone. Everything has been great so far until about 30 minutes ago. I attached my 3G to my MacBook via USB to charge it while I was doing some surfing and work. My wife SMS'ed me , and it did everything as normal: the screen came on showing the SMS, the iPhone vibrated, but no sound was emitted.

I went into all of my settings and everything is as it should be. I kept it on Tri-Tone for SMS notification, but each successive SMS created no sound. I switched over to a few different sounds, and they work. But if I switch back to Tri-Tone, I still don't get any sound when a new SMS comes in.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter so much, but I'm really used to the Tri-Tone and frankly, my new iPhone shouldn't be "breaking" after 4 days of use.

FWIW, all other sounds are working as usual, just this one.

It is just so perplexing....:confused:

2. View macrumors regular

Sounds like restarting the phone MIGHT fix it, have you tried it?

3. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

The simple solutions are usually the ones that work (and are usually overlooked). Thanks, works like a charm now. :D

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Sounds not playing (occasionally or all the time) when you receive an SMS is a known bug in 2.0. Should be fixed within the next update. :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use the "Glass" sound for my SMS notification and so far, I haven't had any issues with it not sounding when I get a text message.

6. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it was the darnedest thing. Every sound but Tri-Tone worked. Once I cycled the power everything was back to normal. I guess I was just so used to Tri-Tone that I didn't want to switch. :D

7. aljlin macrumors regular

I had that happen with my phone. Only mine was not the tritone mine was the bell. Shutting off and turning on the phone started it again. yeuck.

Haven't been able to replicate it...

8. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

There was a large thread about this on the apple discussions. (apple.com forums)

This is a widespread problem with 2.0 It probably happens to everyone, just some people don't notice it.

another similar bug is the ringer volume automatically resetting itself to the middle of the slider bar.