Weird iOS 7 problem

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by joe1852, Jun 26, 2013.

1. joe1852 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is related to ios 7 but whenever i try to start a game that i've downloaded the game acts like i have already made an account on there when i have never even played the game before. This happened today when i download the hobbit and tried to start a new game it acted as if i had been playing for hours already.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Downloaded from the Apple app store or from "another site" ? Have not heard of that problem before.

3. joe1852 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. HMI, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I've heard of this happening with some apps that use UDID (Unique Device IDentifier) when on pre-owned/previously used devices.

If your device was owned by someone else before you purchased it, then the previous owner probably used the same app on that device before you purchased it from them, so what might be happening is that when you open the app, the app's developer automatically recognizes the same pre-existing UDID/user account of the device from before and loads the previously saved app data, thinking you are still the same previous owner of that device.

This is why Apple wants to move all developers away from using UDIDs to identify specific users.

Developers liked UDID to store app data/game progress because it was the fast, easy, lazy way to have unique customer accounts without annoying their customers/users. Now developers have to use other means, like requiring an email address/password or Facebook login to associate app data/game progress with unique customers/users without tying those pieces of information to any single device. It is a bit more annoying for developers because it forces them to use correct procedures, and it is a bit more annoying for customers because it forces them to use personal email addresses to create/register accounts with the developer.

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but this is my quick guess.

That is why I'm hesitant to ever sell my devices to someone else. Who knows what personal data of mine they might randomly pull-up on my old device one day because they happened to use the same poorly coded app I once did?!

Apple has made progress in stopping this, but Ive still seen some apps in the App Store that continue using UDID.

Please confirm if the device you are using was owned or used by someone else before you.