Weird iPad iMessage activation alert today

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iapplelove, Aug 29, 2013.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

So I had two iPads running iOS 7 both downgraded back to ios6 to get ready to sell. Last week I finally ended up selling one of them and today for some reason while I was on my Mac I got a notification to entire my FaceTime password then my iMessage password like I would when first activating. I didnt have me do this on my phone but for some reason both devices alerted me that my iPad was also running face time and iMessage along with the phone and mac, which is impossible cause the iPad is sold and the other one has been powered off for some time.

I know apple has changed find my iPhone and how it works with ios7 just wondering if anyone else had sold a device previously running ios7?

2. yannoulecomte macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone. Since June it was running iOS 7 and two weeks ago i sold it for a galaxy S4. Before selling it i put it back to iOS 6 and I haven't had anything happen since then...:confused:

3. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

You did reset the device and erase all content right? Otherwise the person who you sold the iPad too is still connected to your Apple ID.

4. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Yes a complete wipe first on ios7 then after restoring back to ios6 to see if everything was ok I did a complete wipe again

Still don't understand the out of the blue message .

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did you sign out of iCloud before doing so to remove the device from your list of iMessage devices?

6. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Not sure if I did I really don't remember but there is no iPad in my list. To make sure how do I check to see what devices are using iMessage?

7. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

And if someone else by chance was able to still active to my iMessage account lol woudnt I able to see their messages on my devices?

8. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

One way to see if sold iPad is still connected, open "Find My iPhone" and see if all your current devices are there.

9. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I did think of that and it only shows my phone and Mac so I know I'm good plus I would see if there was another device being used with my iCloud settings . The message today just threw me off

10. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Find My iPhone does not yet have the new features, just updated icon and updated for bugs w/iOS 7 beta.

Go to iTunes on your mac.

go into your itunes account, scroll to "iTunes in the Cloud", click on Manage Devices on the right
    [​IMG]

This will show you all your current devices in iCloud...if the iPad is still there, click on "Remove" to remove it.
    [​IMG]
    My iPhone 5 was replaced in January (for sleep/power button defect), thus the January date for my iPhone 5, but, somewhere, I think I had to delete the old one (iTunes>Preferences>Devices?).

As far as having to sign in to iCloud...I've had (not to sign in, but,) gotten various messages from Messages on my Mac stating that such number, or such device/email (ios 7 beta) iPhone added. Not sure if this was due to icloud outages or just at various times updating betas on the iPhone, or, perhaps when I enabled icloud keychain.

11. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks so much! Will check as soon as I get home from work!

12. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i had 7 devices still on the list including the iPad so i deleted all devices except my current iphone and mac.

13. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

you may also want to check (in iTunes) the "Store" menu...you may need to "Deauthorize all" and then authorize your mac. ...at one point I was maxed out, but, only have one mac, two ios devices. I previously had a powermac g5, mac mini, mac book, mac book pro (it counted twice, after upgrading the hard drive)...I only had one computer at a time, but they kept accumulating, when I did the last update it prompted me that I had maxed out, could not authorize this computer. I wasn't sure what to do, didn't want to lose anything, but, what I wrote here works.

you could also check itunes preferences>devices this is a list of ios device backups, you can delete the backups from devices you no longer own.

14. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i cleaned up everything last night,deactivated all my old phones(on my 3rd iPhone 5 as well) so i still had a few of them showing,unauthorized all my ipads to my account too. Got rid of all the back ups except for my previous iPhone backup. Also i have 2 computers authorized to my itunes account,my current mac and my old pc. I will delete those once i get a new computer.Hope this takes care of any funny imessage verification notifications.

thanks again.