Weird iPhone 4 issues...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thisisajs, May 25, 2012.

1. thisisajs macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 16GB iphone 4 has been restarting itself randomly lately (no loss of info/apps/etc, just shuts off and turns itself back on). It also doesnt charge all the time when you plug it in - itunes will recognize the device, but it just won't charge 90% of the time. If I keep it plugged in long enough, eventually it will start charging.

The guys at the apple store just told me to factory reset since it's past warranty. I did that with no change and upgraded from OS 5.1 to 5.1.1, also with no change.

I am currently trying to do a DFU reinstall but while iTunes downloads the software, the phone keeps resetting..

What do you think the issue may be? Since the iphone 5 is coming soon, I'm not its worth it to spend a ton of $ to repair it but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Have your tried setting the iPhone as "new?" Your backup is probably corrupt. Were your previously jailbroken?

3. thisisajs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the phone was previously jailbroken (but the issue started before I did that). Every time I restored the phone via iTunes, I set it up as a brand new device.

I restored via DFU mode and pulled the SIM card out and put it back in and that seems to have fixed the restarting issue but the charging issue remains.

When I have the phone plugged in, iTunes will see it but it won't charge. The icon on the phone itself has the little 'plug' icon as to say it were fully charged but the 'actual' battery life is around 40%. Whats even more weird is that when the phone is plugged in, the battery doesn't appear to be draining either. It seems to have the exact same life this morning as it did last night.

What do you think is happening? Ive tried different cords, computers, wall chargers to no change. My guess is it may need a new battery??

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Sound definitely like a hardware issue. Could be the battery acting weird so maybe the charging port on the iPhone. I'd make an appointment at the Apple Store.