Weird iPhone 5 screen defect?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RoyalElephant, Jul 21, 2013.

1. RoyalElephant macrumors member

So i've had my iPhone 5 (A1429) since the European launch date and everything has been very well until about a week ago when this weird purple blotch just appeared on the screen. It may have been developing over time, but I have only noticed it a week ago.

I've looked all over the internet for "defective iPhone 5 displays" but I haven't been able to find anything else like this.
    Anyone else have it? Anyone know what it could be?

[​IMG]

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Never seen that before. Get an apple replacement.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Seems like a factory defect, although it's strange you haven't noticed it for months, or that it developed from nowhere.

4. HidingAmatanth macrumors newbie

There was another thread on here recently about that. It had "pink column" in the title best I remember. The poster said she took into Apple and they replaced it under the warranty.

5. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Definitely seems like a defect. I'm sure Apple wouldn't have any issue swapping your device out with a refurb.

6. RoyalElephant, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

RoyalElephant thread starter macrumors member

Well unfortunately I sent it in to Apple Care since there is no Apple Store in this country.

They said "could not duplicate issue" and are sending it back to me as is.

I am very frustrated right now. Very frustrated. I paid €679 for this phone and they're treating me like DIRT.

When I get it back I will to travel 100 miles out of my country, to the UK, to an Apple store to get it replaced that way.

I am so frustrated right now. This whole process has taken nearly two weeks and for them just tell me it's fine and send it back is the biggest kick in the teeth I have ever got from any company.

I've been using an Android phone since it's been gone (Galaxy S3 mini) and it does everything my iPhone does so I am very compelled to boycott Apple after this. Leaving me, as far as they know, with no phone and then making that whole process a huge waste of time.

Does anyone know who I can contact?

7. alex.clime macrumors newbie

I have noticed the same defect few days ago. On the screen edges of my iPhone there are strips about 5 mm thick of a light green colour.
    Fortunately my iPhone is still under guarantee.
    Yesterday I've been able to discuss about the problem with customer service at Apple Store of Bologna city in Italy.
    The person I talked with said that this is not a rare defect, but sometimes the customers don't notice the stripes because of the light color variation.
    So the only one solution is to substitute my iPhone with a new one.
    To see if your iPhone has the same defect you have to download a pure white background and visualise it in full screen mode with the brightness set up on maximum level and automatic brightness switched off.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In other words its very hard to replicate that and only happens to those that really look for it and have OCD issues:D

9. RoyalElephant thread starter macrumors member

Well actually it's pretty faint when it first appears and then gets progressively worse until you can easily notice it in normal use.

----------

So I ended up in the end getting the phone replaced only to have the issue re-appear. Its getting worse day by day and am set to again make the 100 mile journey to the Apple store. Hopefully all goes well in the apple store as it actually did previously.

If this issue keeps re-ocouring after my AppleCare expires I will be forced to abandon the iPhone forever, unfortunately. I really do love the iPhone despite this nasty experience but I won't let any company away with shafting me like this. What I always loved about Apple was quality control.

Also I saw this article written in poor english, but the person who wrote it has the same issue. It's not just me it really happens.

http://www.rickychew.com/2013/10/01...-appear-purple-color-apple-official-response/

Apple keep telling me this never happens and i'm the only case.

I have also previously managed to contact Tim Cook, just barely. Still can't believe he actually saw the email I sent pointing out this issue but its a small world I guess.

I recommend for anyone else with this issue to come forward and not just lie back and accept it. I also urge you all to email pictures to Tim Cook and other Apple executive just so we know the top dogs are aware of this as you may not believe it but they actually do read these.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but not really. I have two launch day 5 units that are doing the same thing. Once you see it, it's impossible to un-see it. Especially with the predominantly white iOS 7. I suspect it's got something to do with the touchable area of the screen, since there's about a 4mm border all round that is unaffected.

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It reminds me of the light bleed on the 4S.....download these solid color wallpapers, now climb into your refrigerator, close the door and......

Seriously....if that's the only time it has a small issue, I don't care!!!

12. RoyalElephant, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

This shows all the time, no refridgerator required. This just isn't an acceptable, especially from a phone that cost €679 at the time.

I want white when there's suppose to be white, not an icky pink stain with white edges.

As stated above, once you actually see it it's impossible to ever unsee.

----------

That's very interesting, Leads to me to believe it could to be to do with the glue they used to fuse the touch panel with the display panel. Or maybe it's the clear touch panel that's actually rotting in some weird way and giving it that pink hue.

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

This is effecting a lot of of iPhone 5's including me.

14. kdhoe, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

kdhoe macrumors member

Yesterday, I noticed the same problem on my phone. I'm sure it didn't exist a week ago! I called Apple to have it replaced/fixed

Update: called Apple and they sent a replacement under warranty right away. It seems they know about the problem already. I will receive it today. My ip5 is already more than 1 year old. Never used a screen protector.

15. RoyalElephant thread starter macrumors member

Its driving me up the wall. My closest Apple Store is 100 miles away but I don't have any other option as last time I did the send away option I ended up having to buy an S3 mini just to get me by while the iPhone was way, then a few days after it had been sent I got the notification "could not duplicate issue - original product shipped" and when I received it back I could see it instantly, only it was worse. It got so bad it started going yellow. So I made the long journey to the Apple store, got a new phone, three months later hear I am.

This is something i'd usually expect from SONY. Not Apple.

Going back to the Apple store on Saturday for one last swap and if this is defective i'm asking for my money back. If they don't comply i'm taking them to court, not just for me, but for all of you. I want every customer with this defect to be entitled to a full refund.

16. zybersniper macrumors member

I had exactly the same issue. I took it apart and tried to reseat the LCD cabling and the LCD itself but it seems that even with the screen out of the casing, it still displayed the issue.

Just curious, but did any of you apply Liquipel to your iPhones? Mine had the Liquipel treatment and I suspected that it may have caused it. My camera sensor were also having dark blotches.

Or this could be the glue changing colour due to continuous contact with a humid environment since the LCD and touch (digitizer) layer is fused together with glue.

17. dotme macrumors 6502a

No Liquipel here. My girlfriend used a screen protector. I did not. We live in Iowa, phones rarely exposed to high humidity. Both have the pink screen problem. Maybe it's a particular LCD manufacturer, and maybe an age thing too. For us it was gradual. Makes me wonder if the 5s units we bought are headed in the same direction in time...

18. RoyalElephant thread starter macrumors member

No I haven't liquipeled as I don't really see the point.

What's weird about this is Apple don't even seem to know what it is, or they're trying to cover it up.

Every AppleCare assistant has jumped straight to replacement as soon as I state the issue as if they're aware but they say their not.

I'd say it carries to iPod touch 5th generation, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C as they all carry the same display but I'm not %100 sure as I've only seen it with the iPhone 5.

19. zybersniper macrumors member

I guess it really is a manufacturing problem! My iphone was purchased back in December 2012. The Genius who handled my case didn't comment on the screen issue but since my camera sensor was also malfunctioning, he didn't even bother putting the issue on the repair report. it seems like they really are trying to cover it up, just like the camera sensor burnout problem. Just google iphone 5 blotches, smudges in photos and you will see a lot of people having the same issue.

20. RoyalElephant, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

So far the camera on both my iPhone 5's has been absolutely perfect, however if this is a subtle issue that's hard to see I could have had it with my launch model but never noticed it. A lot of the people who said they couldn't see the screen issue on my iPhone 5 are seeing it on their own now so I'm open to the idea of it being there and me simply not noticing it.

Oh also, Apple are definitely trying to cover it up. The AppleCare assistant I talked to last time said the details of my last case were deleted from the system and weren't suppose to be and they couldn't see that there ever was another iPhone 5, until I mentioned the serial number, then they saw the phone with my details but no details of the defect or issue at all.

My theory, Foxconn/Apple are using cheap glue. They glued the screen with the same method on the iPhone 4 and 4S but I've never seen an issue like this on then no matter what the age.

21. fekimoki, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

fekimoki macrumors member

fekimoki

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia (No Apple here, just phone import companies).

My black iPhone 5 (16 GB)'s problem is 100% like yours, after 10 months of use. I visited customer service, and she agrees to send my phone to Apple Singapore about those purple / pink at center. She told me that this process will take 14 work-days. Whatever mam! Didn't really have a choice there.

On the 20'th work-days, I called them and asked about my repairs. I was very angry to hear that my phones arrived 3 days a go already! Hell why they didn't call me?!!
    I rushed to their service center and they replaced the black iPhone completely (looks new). The only protective 'housing' is just a adhesive films in the front and back of the phone.

After I tested all the regular function there i.e camera, sound, making calls, face time. I like what I saw and sign the replacement iPhone doc.

From there we went to cinema and I just noticed in dark room, there are 'leaked' soft light from the top (right side of the clock bar). I was so pissed. But after a while, I accidently hit About in Settings, voila it's 32 GB what they gave me. I was like WHAT!!!!? From angry to happy.

They didn't charged me at all. So I'm very surprised about your condition there! Rejected etc. I hope the best for you.

EDIT: This happened on iOS6. iOS 7 wasn't launched.

22. zybersniper macrumors member

Apple do sometimes replace lower memory spec devices with higher ones especially if the iPhone is already out of production. The light leak you described was also a common issue that was discussed when the iPhone 5 was first launched. It's due to the glue around the LCD not completely holding it down. Did you check to make sure no dust is stuck under the touch panel glass?

23. RoyalElephant thread starter macrumors member

Oh I wow I was hoping they'd do something like that with me. Only I was hoping to accidentally receive a 64 GB lmao.

While i'm here i'm just going to give anyone who was watching this thread before and update on what happened to me.
    After I got the issue on my replacement phone I went to the Apple store to get another replacement/repair.

I arrived and they told me they'd do an in-store screen replacement for me and this is where trouble started. The genius told me they would be charging me £110 for the screen replacement.

I stated that the phone was still in warranty and he showed me that said on the iPad that he was holding it said out of warranty.

I responded by saying it's not out of warranty and told him the purchase date of the iPhone and he rudely said "It says hear it's not. I just work here and I don't know what's going on and I don't really care and I don't need to be shouted at"

I was shocked and just replied with "I wasn't shouting" which I wasn't. I will say at this point I felt like shouting but I didn't because I very much understand his position as an employee, I wasn't asking for a lecture and I have to say I am very put off from this experience.

I made them call the AppleCare advisor who I had been talking to who settled the dispute and confirmed that there is a system error and they ended up just replacing the whole phone.

So far the system error has not been resolved despite repeated calls to have it resolved but hopefully it will be done by tomorrow so I will never have to see the ugly side of a "genius" ever again.

24. zybersniper macrumors member

There was a recent maintenance on the Applecare selfsolve warranty system and there has been many glitches, mainly with in warranty become out of warranty and out of warranty becoming in warranty. The manager actually has the power to override or to escalate to the Applecare warranty team to update the system. I'm rather appalled that any staff working at Apple doesn't know about this. Obviously they never logon to the Apple training system and read the training manuals!

25. fekimoki macrumors member

fekimoki

Ah so it's glue. Can't really complain it because they bribed me with 32 GB lol. I am pretty sure there are no dust and other bugs. All great.