Weird iphone 5S home button issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Apr 21, 2014.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

My home button makes a click sound without actually pressing on the button.

For example, just putting my finger on the button and I'll feel the button move and make click sounds. But I haven't actually pressed it. My dad and moms 5S does too.

Anyone know of a fix ?

2. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

No idea, probably taking it to the Apple store is your best bet.

3. AndrewR23, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah not an option. Can't lose jailbreak. Im sure some people have this issue bc about half the iPhones at the apple store had it too

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5394701?start=15&tstart=0

found tons of other ppl plus a possible solution as well

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

you could buy a home button and replace it yourself. Or deal with it, lose your jailbreak, and take it to the apple store.

5. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

Same thing here

My 5S does the same thing. The functionality however is unaffected i.e. the button still works as it should.

I got it fairly recently, so if something does go wrong with it, I will take it in to be replaced. I think it might have something to do with the button having so many layers to do with the fingerprint scanner.

:)

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The ring around home buttons scans to detect if a finger is present to use the fingerprint sensor. Maybe it's this process that activate when you put your finger on it, though I'm not sure if it should be making any noise.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

My guess is dirt or manufacturing debris gets into or was in the space surrounding the button or behind it. This causes a crunchy click when barely touched. Had it on my first 5S. Exchanged for one that hasn't had the problem.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. It's a crunchy click when you just barely put your finger on the button. No pressing either.

Not gonna exchange until the fingerprint scanner stops working tho. Good to hear others had it tho

9. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Weird iphone 5S home button issue

Mine did it before. I used a q-tip wet with screen cleaner. Soak the tip and push button at edge of button. Keep pressing while you move the q-tip around the edges of the button. It worked on my current and old 5s. Here is a video of someone using a microfiber cloth instead. http://youtu.be/GWXdpcZy7gw

10. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

thank u trying it now! has your issue ever came back?

11. nivekr11 macrumors regular

It's been double click free since January.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

mine also just started doing this too, really annoying to use with virtual home.

13. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I agree, thats how I noticed it. Cant even remember the last time i pressed the button itself

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Don't know why I'm so lucky, but mine is fine...never had an issue with the power or home buttons, and they are the two most common failures on the iPhone.

15. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Funny. I was experiencing this exact issue. Saw the thread and though "Hey I've got this!" whipped out my iPhone, oh... it's not doing it anymore.

There is definitely a little bit of movement in the button though. I wonder if a little spec of something got stuck.

EDIT: While I was at it, I got a Qtip with some Isopropyl Alcohol and pressed around the edges of the Home Button as per nivekr11's suggestion, it seems to have made my Home Button sound less plastic like when pressing on it.

.. but I think that's just in my head.

16. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lol. My phone hasn't been doing it for a few hours. It'll come back tho. I haven't tried any alcohol yet.