Weird Iphone 6 battery issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sugarspice, Apr 8, 2015.

1. sugarspice macrumors newbie

The iphone 6 is less than 1 month old, and recently I noticed a weird pattern.

The battery would be drained to 1 or 2% and as soon as I plug the charger it'd jump to 4 or 5%. Anyone know why so or what's the cause?

It didn't do before, and none of the prior iphones did it either.

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

My battery makes no sense either. Sometimes it skips percentages 2-3% at a time and other times it stays on a percentage for way longer than another.

I think it may have to do with the calibration, but others said no. In the past they'd tell you to let your battery die and then recharge it to set it properly. Maybe try that?

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The charge indicator is not exact. I doubt you have a problem. Why are you running the batter down to 1 or 2 percent?

4. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

As aforementioned above, the battery percentage is only an estimate. When charging however, it is the actual (more less) charge the battery obtains.

5. sugarspice thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, but here's the problem: it's 1 percent and then would shut down. I connect to charger, it automatically restarts showing 4%.

so if when charging, batter meeter is actual, then how come it shuts off?

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Both are estimates. You phone can not tell you the EXACT charge of it's battery. Why are you running your battery to dead?

7. sugarspice thread starter macrumors newbie

why does it die when there's juice left? that part i'm having hard to see.

it dies because i'm using it, and not near a charger. what should be optimal battery maintenance?

8. Newtons Apple, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I will repeat one more time. The percentage is ONLY an estimate. SO when you see 1 or 2% it could really be dead! Your phone may turn off when it says 10% as it is just an estimate.

You are only harming your battery by running it down to this low of a charge rate. Optimum is to just use it and charge while you are sleeping. Running your battery to 1-2% is just shortening it useful life.

9. sugarspice thread starter macrumors newbie

how is it shortening battery life? i'm not seeing this point. could you elaborate?

ok but let me clarify the point i'm trying to make: when it's 1-2% and shuts off, there's still some juice left. when i put it to charger and it jumps to 3-4% immediately, that's the true charge. but the ios misunderstands and shuts off, even if there's battery left.

anyways, i'll chalk it up to the bugginess of the iphone 6/ios 8.2, of which i've come across many. previous versions were very smooth.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

When you plug it in IT IS NOT THE TRUE CHARGE!

IT IS ONLY AN ESTIMATE!

You seem obcessed with the fact the the percentage changes when you plug it in. That make no difference. You are unlikely to even get your phone to boot up on 1-2% indicated.

L-Ion batteries do not like to be run down to the 1-2% level. It will hurt your battery. Google and you will see.

This has nothing to do with it being "iPhone 6/ios 8.2".

Good bye and Good luck, but I do not think I can help you.

11. sugarspice thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip on the battery recharge - didn't know!

i still think what i'm saying isn't explained away by estimate, but i guess if i don't let it go that low, then it won't be an issue then.

12. Newtons Apple, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just use you phone. Apple put alot of R&D into it to make it as trouble free as possible. I have had 10 iPhones and all you got to do is charge while sleeping and it is ready to go when you wake up.

Nothing else is required.

13. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

iOS 8 is to blame. Every iOS device skips 50%, 30%, 25% (I think) and 15%. It seems like there are a couple other skips in the 20-30 percent area. But I digress. You get the point.

14. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, just charge it every night. I think the key to Li-ion battery longevity is to charge it before it is too low. All my iPhones so far the batteries did not degrade perceivably over the years I think partly due to the fact that I plug it in every night. My friend on the other hand had problem with her phone holding a charge for the last 2 generations a the end of her upgrade cycle. She's a heavy user and occasionally run out of juice at the end of the day.

I think Toyota Prius batteries are the same way. Many tests showed that they did not degrade significantly after 200K miles. The explanation I read was that they never get deeply discharged before being charged.