Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngaham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hey,
I am wondering if anyone has had something like this happen to them before. I've had my iPhone X since launch in November of 2017. With the new release of iOS 12.2 I wasn't seeing the Apple Care+ coverage under the About section so I went to check my coverage. When I did so I received the following message:

"We’re sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us."

Thinking that this was rather odd as I bought my iPhone new at Verizon, I began to chat with Apple Support. They told me that someone went in to an Apple Store about six months ago, presented a device with my serial number with physical damage, and received a replacement. Since I have only been in 1 Apple Store in my entire life I told the support that it obviously wasn't me. Apple Support is now telling me that I need to go back to the Verizon Store and explain to them that my serial number is inactive and ask them to fix it. Anyone have any insight?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Your serial was copied and someone took a non-working iPhone with that number to obtain a replacement. This sounds more like an Apple problem rather than a Verizon problem.

ngaham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Your serial was copied and someone took a non-working iPhone with that number to obtain a replacement. This sounds more like an Apple problem rather than a Verizon problem.

Call me naive, but how does that happen?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Call me naive, but how does that happen?

Your number could have been sold by an Apple Store employee or it may have been generated by software and validated through the Brightstar site.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Hey,
I am wondering if anyone has had something like this happen to them before. I've had my iPhone X since launch in November of 2017. With the new release of iOS 12.2 I wasn't seeing the Apple Care+ coverage under the About section so I went to check my coverage. When I did so I received the following message:

"We’re sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us."

Thinking that this was rather odd as I bought my iPhone new at Verizon, I began to chat with Apple Support. They told me that someone went in to an Apple Store about six months ago, presented a device with my serial number with physical damage, and received a replacement. Since I have only been in 1 Apple Store in my entire life I told the support that it obviously wasn't me. Apple Support is now telling me that I need to go back to the Verizon Store and explain to them that my serial number is inactive and ask them to fix it. Anyone have any insight?

Odd you mention this, I had this issue last week. It turned out a phone had been replaced in Switzerland (I'm in the UK) and a error with serial numbers by the shop made it seem mine had been replaced. Apple worked on it they needed proof of Applecare (a picture I could upload to a link they sent to me via email, along with the PDF of my Applecare in a previous email, you then screenshot the Applecare image from the PDF and upload it to Apple via that link) which is a pretty convoluted approach but its about protecting your privacy and a screenshot of the about section shoing your serial number and in my case the online order number as I purchased the phone from Apple directly. A receipt from where you got the phone would do. After four days all is back to how it should be. Contact Apple and they will sort this, well they did for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.