Weird issue maybe someone else has seen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markjs, Dec 2, 2011.

1. markjs macrumors member

A friend has an old MacBook Pro circa Tiger era, and it's been upgraded to Snow Leopard which may be too far (he's considered going back to Leopard). In any case, the battery seems to have died and not just gradually but from fine to dead in one day. The machine though, when plugged into the wall will boot up, but if you run any application at all, it just closes up and shuts down.

Anyone ever see this before? Weirdest thing I've probably ever seen in all my time with either PCs or Mac; it's a new problem I've never come across.

He did say he had opened a suspicious email prior to this happening, but I am wholly unfamiliar with and virus or malware involving OS X.

Thanks for any insight in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

It can't be a virus:
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Anyway, does your friend have the ability to get a new battery or bring it to Apple?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

It's not malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The email isn't responsible for this behavior. Did your friend try resetting the SMC/PRAM and calibrating the battery? Does it do this when the battery is not in the machine?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just to clarify, PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

6. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Wow fast answers! I am not sure if it does with the battery out; I don't have the machine here anymore. I will tell him about the SMC and he can try that and see if it works. It's a place to start which is what we needed. Thanks, I'll get back to you guys when he does it with the results.

7. markjs thread starter macrumors member

You did it sir and you have our gratitude! That fixed it all right back how it should be. He is very grateful because he is broke and can't afford to replace it but was planning to. You're a life saver!

8. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Well I wish the story had ended there. This fix worked, but only for a short while and then the Macbook started doing the same thing over and over. Could the firmware be corrupt or something? Stumped again anyway and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, thanks.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are three primary components to the charging system: the MagSafe adapter, the battery and the logic board. Check the link in the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters. Use iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your battery condition. Calibrate the battery using the instructions in the CALIBRATION section of the FAQ. You've already reset the SMC. If none of that helps, that means the problem is likely with your logic board. It could be something simple like a loose connector, or something more serious, requiring logic board replacement.