Weird Issue rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxorific1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. maxorific1 macrumors newbie

OK so I have a silicon power armor a80 drive I am connecting to my retina macbook pro. Everything was good until about a week after using it and now it makes a very high pitched noise (a80 drive). I emailed silicon power about this and they say it usually has something to do with the computer not having enough power output to the usb port. This drive is USB 3.0 by the way, i don't know if that matters. Also, it doesn't always make this noise when plugged in, but probably 70% of the time. Anyways, what I am wondering is 1) has anyone else had this problem? 2) is this an issue with the usb ports on my retina macbook pro (i have tried the external drive in both, yet both caused the high pitched noise. Just for reference, I plugged the A80 into my 24 inch iMac and it did not make the high pitched noise...

2. houkouonchi macrumors regular

This is common for USB -> 2.5 inch SATA enclosures that just run off USB power. Most have two connectors so you can run it via two USB cables for computers with lower powered USB ports. Yes the macbook probably is supplying with less power and is common from what I have seen with other laptops. Only way around it probably is using an active (powered) USB hub.

3. maxorific1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well I am finding that if I plug it in kind of slowly it seems to not make the noise.. whatever. But thanks, so if I continue having problems with it, I will get a powered USB 3.0 hub. Which would solve other issues dealing with only having 2 usb ports...