Weird issue using the headphone jack in my car

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I know it's pretty ghetto, but the receiver in my car doesn't have an audio in jack so I use my phone with one of those cassette adapters. With my 3gs and my 4 all worked perfect.

The 6 is giving me a weird hum type sound when I listen to anything streaming, such as Tune-in or iheartradio.

Whats odd is that I haven't noticed it happening if I listen to something I have stored on the phone itself.

I thought perhaps it is because I was also charging it at the same time, but I get the hum even with the lightening cable not attached.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks for reading.

rpramanik

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
San Francisco, USA
Same with 4S

I know it's pretty ghetto, but the receiver in my car doesn't have an audio in jack so I use my phone with one of those cassette adapters. With my 3gs and my 4 all worked perfect.

The 6 is giving me a weird hum type sound when I listen to anything streaming, such as Tune-in or iheartradio.

Whats odd is that I haven't noticed it happening if I listen to something I have stored on the phone itself.

I thought perhaps it is because I was also charging it at the same time, but I get the hum even with the lightening cable not attached.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks for reading.
I also get this only when I plug my charger in, but I use a headphone jack.
So no charging when doing this, assumed uninsulated cable.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I also get this only when I plug my charger in, but I use a headphone jack.
So no charging when doing this, assumed uninsulated cable.
I thought also that it is a uninsulated issue problem, but when I disconnect the cable the noise continues. If I disconnect the audio jack the sound goes right away. I will have to try and see if I get the noise with the app started and the charger not connected.

Is the sound coming thru your headphones just a hum or is it a hum with like a morse code sound mixed in. Kinda like if you put an old cell phone by a clock radio the sound of it pinging the cell tower thru the radio.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Buy a new stereo with the aux jack on the front plate.. they're very inexpensive :p
Thats assuming the problem is the cassette adapter and not the headphone jack on the phone.

And also on my car replacing the head unit would also mean the stock amp can no longer be used. And it sounds great to me.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Thats assuming the problem is the cassette adapter and not the headphone jack on the phone.

And also on my car replacing the head unit would also mean the stock amp can no longer be used. And it sounds great to me.
I'd update the stereo system, it can't possibly sound good thru cassette. That's not even ghetto son, that's Zimbabwe baby!
Checking your iPhones jack should be easy, plug it anywhere else and try it.
Dude, DVDs (your nickname) and cassettes are nostalgic asf, but it's time to let some things go ;)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

What kind of car is it?

I very much doubt it's the headphone jack lol

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
What kind of car is it?

I very much doubt it's the headphone jack lol
It's a lexus ls400.

Granted the consensus here is its the adapter, but why didn't it buzz with the other 2 iPhones? And why is it only happening when I'm streaming?

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Ok well I guess the consensus appears correct.

I tried the same streaming audio using another external computer speakers from the headphone jack, no distortion at all.

It's too bad cause I listen to mostly talk content and that worked just perfect.

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
you can buy an adapter from vais to add aux to the car,maybe they offer bt adapters now? I had one a few years ago

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
you can buy an adapter from vais to add aux to the car,maybe they offer bt adapters now? I had one a few years ago
Hmm, this sounds promising. What is vais?

I still don't get why it's on now happening with the new phone. And only using the cassette adapter in my car. I tried 2 other external headphone jack devices and both were buzz free. And I don't hear any noise when I use headphones either. And its not only when its charging. I used it last night without it charging at all and I get the buzz. It seemed to be stronger when a notification would pop up too.

So weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.