Weird Issue with Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Aug 5, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have Mail set to automatically open when I first boot up. It's configured with POP Gmail, where messages in my inbox automatically archive when Mail downloads them.

While I'm at work, I keep Mail closed, then open it when I get home and go through all the messages I may (or may not) have checked online during the day. Today, for seemingly no reason, my Gmail inbox suddenly went empty: everything had archived. Sure enough, Mail was open and archiving everything automatically as it came in.

Here's the weird thing, though. Mail was closed when I left home this morning; I know this because a) I remember closing it and b) Gmail didn't start archiving until around 11:00. I checked iStat and my iMac has been up for over a day, so it wasn't a power failure that caused the computer to reboot and open Mail.

Has anyone ever had a program randomly open like that? I can't think of any other way it could have happened. Is there a way to open up some sort of log on the computer that shows me everything that was done on it today?

Thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, no such log by default.

You could check system.log and secure.log to see if there are any clues.

Double check that you don't have a rule in Mail that could have caused this.
    No one else could have been using your computer?
    Is this issue reproducible?
    Are there any LaunchAgents that might have done this?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably a better bet would be to just use IMAP. Then it won't matter if Mail's open, it can download without marking them as read and/or archiving them until you do read and/or file them. It's worked great for me for a while.

jW

4. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't have any rules in Mail that would cause it to open by itself and no one else was at home. The iMac had been on for 24 hours+, so I don't think a launch agent could be the culprit. As for reproducibility, it only happened yesterday for the first time (and it seemed completely random as I wasn't at home and no one else was, either) so I'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah I've thought about going IMAP, but I don't like how Gmail adds a ton of unnecessary folders to Mail, and I also kind of like having all my email show up again when I open Mail. It sort-of serves as a reminder service for me if I've checked an email online during the day but wanted to read it again more closely later on.