Weird issue with online videos and Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Jun 30, 2009.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. Been having this problem for awhile now and can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Here's hoping someone here can help.

When ever I watch a quicktime video online, I get a large amount of clipping and skipping in the video. The audio is fine however. It started happening after the last Quicktime update. At first I thought it was just the site I went to, but it happens on every site I watch a Quicktime video on. The problem does not happen with non-streaming videos. I've tried reinstalling quicktime but the problem persits.

PS I was runnign Firefox 3.5 RC2, but I just upgraded to 3.5 (full) and the problem is still happening. I have also disabled anything extensions that would cause issues and it still happens.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

PSS The problem seems to only happen with Firefox. Just tired with Camino and had no issues.

2. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I can't help but I can feel your pain as I have the same issue, it's been pissing me off no end. Seem to be fine in Safari and fine in Firefox if it's a WMA opening via Quicktime.

I've browsed the Apple forums and found a couple of solutions but they didn't help me at all!

Anyone else have this issue or know the solution?

I was really hoping 3,5 would fix this :(

Might be worth you trying this solution, although it didn't help me:

1) In the finder navigate: Macintosh HD> Library> Internet plug-ins.
    2) Remove the file "QuickTime Plugin.webplugin" from that directory.
    3) leave just the "QuickTime Plugin.plugin" file there unmoved.
    4) Quit your browser and restart the browser

4. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one here having the issue, though you are doing better then me. I can't stream WMVs at all. Don't even see the video or video pane.

5. sreedy macrumors 6502a

You have Flip for Mac? That's how I got WMV working.

6. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Yes I do. It works for offline videos, but screws up on streaming vids. I'm hoping the codec is corrupted. I uninstalled it for now(as I don't usually watch WMVs and have VLC for the rare times I do). I'm waiting until I get this quicktime problem fixed.

7. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Sadly still having the problem. :( anyone else have any ideas?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can you point to a webpage so others can do a test? if confirmed, it might worth a bug report, in the mean time, if its indeed a bug, you might have to use other browses for these pages before firefox fixes it.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can you point to a webpage so others can do a test? if confirmed, it might worth a bug report, in the mean time, if its indeed a bug, you might have to use other browses for these pages before firefox fixes it.

for the record, there is a bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=491628 I am not sure so far if its the same as you described.

I dont know why the post duped when I edit it, mod please delete the above one.

10. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Any quicktime video at gametrailers.com would be a good test (what I usually use).

As for the bug report, while I am streaming from a website, the problem is very similar.

PS You can delete your own posts if I am not mistaken.

11. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

... :( No one has any input on this problem? I doubt we are the only ones having this issue.

12. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Still in need of help

Don't want to be a pest about this, but no one has any ideas of what could be the problem? I've found many posts and bug reports about this issue, but no solutions. I am just getting annoyed that I can't watch any streaming quicktime vids.