Weird issue with selecting Office windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmitch720, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jmitch720 macrumors member

Hey All,
    A user at work is having a strange issue on her Mac. She has multiple windows open including Excel, Mail, Firefox and others. If she is in Mail (or any other application) and clicks on the Excel window behind it, Excel does not come to the front. The cells are selected in the spreadsheet, but "Excel" does not appear in the menu bar and it does not come to the front. The only way to make it come to the front is to click the icon in the dock. Then it's behavior returns to normal. Anyone know what's going on? Office has all it's updates and stuff.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've seen this behavior from time to time, and it's not limited to MS Office. You can also bring the window to the front by using Exposé or Mission Control.

3. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'm using Office 2008 and this happens to me on a pretty regular basis. Not often enough to be a deal breaker but the second that I saw the title of this post I guessed what the issue would be.

You can also select the unselected but in the foreground window and then select (by clicking on it) the window you actually wanted to select and I find that this makes things go back to normal. Unfortunately I haven't ever been able to find a permanent fix for this. It has occurred through 3 operating systems (Leopard > SL > Lion) so I don't think that a fix is coming...