Weird issue with Thunderbolt display and rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lionheartednyhc, Sep 22, 2012.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

ever since I got my rMBP its had trouble detecting the display. It will work half the time I plug it in but typically won't do anything when I plug it in. I usually fix this by restarting the computer and then the display will work perfectly.
    Obviously, this is annoying but today it started doing something else weird. I have an external HDD plugged into the display (via firewire).

The same issue happened as usual, didnt detect display. So I restarted it and it worked fine...until the HDD mounted. As soon as it mounted, the display disconnects. This happened twice more as I restarted it.

Any ideas? I'm about to throw the display against the wall.

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you throw this display, throw it my way. =)

See my solution in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15593786#post15593786

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Since your rMBP, in not the Thunderbolt Display, is still in warranty....what did Apple say when you filed a trouble ticket?

4. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Im not really familiar with trouble tickets, although I do need to take it into the GB. Thought I would post here before I do.

----------

Sadly I think its more complicated than that. Ive already done a full wipe of the system to no avail a few weeks ago.

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

This may sound silly, but I only mention it because it has happened to me... Make sure you TB cable is plugged all the way in. I've plugged mine in a few times and when I check it it appears to be in, but when I push on it more I notice it still had some more to go. This may not be your issue at all, but figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

6. helveta macrumors member

I have the same problem with a 2011 MBA. Some days when I plug it into the display it works, some the TB display and mouse work, but the usb keyboard doesn't until I restart the computer, and some days I have to reboot the MBA with the computer connected to the display. This has happened since I got the MBA and TB display last fall and when it first started happening I found other users in the forums with the same problem and no known solution.